Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New & Cheap Minilite Wheels

Rob Morris

Hear Hear......

Rob has done the club proud on two occasions.thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

The bickering about price/originality/quality is actually putting me off considering "the others" for future purchases. Sounds too much like sour grapes to methumbsdown.gif

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the deal Rob has set-up is very good, I'm pretty sure these other deals have there ups and downs as well. Robs deal came along at just the right time for me and was just what I wanted.

I am looking forward to getting the new wheels and a decent set of tyres - Rob do you have a delivery time for the black wheels as these were due to take a little longer than the stds.

Jason

Firstly, I've been assured that all wheels will have been cast last week! The black and highlite only take longer as they need to be machined after painting so the delay is a "nats thing" I will apply pressure at the start of next week for the start / promise of delivery. I would have chased this week, however, I've busy with Cadwell Park, "but thats a different story and we can't go there"!

Secondly, I have today found a set of Compomtive wheels and I must agree they look top spec! I shall still chase up the history of KN, Alleycat, Revolution etc etc. just for the hell of it. To be honnest i'm actually interested now to understand more and no longer view the things as grey bits of alloy that do a good job of keeping the sump of the deck.

You never know I may even conclude that I've wasted my whole working like and change! Got bored nowdays with Making cars anyway!

Will post update ASAP with regards to Delivery and History.

HELLO AGAIN,

I WAS JUST GIVING YOU GUYS INFORMATION...IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE SOUR GRAPES.

OBVIOUSLY AS I WORK FOR COMPOMOTIVE.COM, I SEE THINGS FROM MY SIDE OF THE FENCE. I HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR A WHILE IN THE WHEEL INDUSTRY, SO I DO KNOW ALOT OF OTHER WHEEL PRODUCERS & THEIR HISTORY.

I DO KNOW THAT COMPOMOTIVE HAVE BEEN MAKING WHEELS FOR MOTORSPORT USE SINCE 1973 IN IT'S OWN STATE OF THE ART FOUNDRY & FACTORY FACILITY.

IN SHORT I GUESS THAT ULTIMATLY YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Could I make a couple of things clear?

I very nearly joined the club deal and wish to thank Rob for his hard work.

I only made the post about Superlite wheels because I thought it was a good deal. I have no connection with the firm, except as a satisfied customer.

I waited till the club deal was closed before posting details, thinking it might be helpfull for those who had missed the boat.

These days I do not get involved in the childish threads 'My kind of car is better than yours' cos it usually degenerates into 'my kind of car is better than any other kind of car ever made and your's is a pile of ****' Think this is going the same way.

I shall refrain from further posting on this thread.

Regards,

allen

Edited by - allen on 8 Oct 2001 08:52:25

Sad I know, but I have done som reasearch and return with additional history for all those anoraks!

1) KN manufacture the Minitor (current Caterham spec wheel)

2) KN manufacture the 15" & 16" Caterham wheel (the answers NO)

3) KN manufacture ALL minilite wheels (except mag. version)

4) KN manufacture the Revolution wheels

5) KN still produce a high percentage of Dymag wheels

6) Two Gates were the manufactures of Alleycat wheels

7) Two Gates did manufacture Revolution for a short period of time

8) Two Gates have gone bust

9) Two Gates trade as Tel-Cast and produce the Raceline wheel

10) Tel-Cast & KN are both based in Telford but have no connection

11)Tel-Cast is thought to produce the Superlite wheel

12)Compomotive wheels are manufactured in Wolverhapmton

13)Compomotive produce the ML wheel which loks like a minlite

14)Minilite trade name is owned by a Co. called Tech-Del

15)Majority of other wheels (i.e. OZ, Campag, Momo etc are ALL made in the same Itallian foundry

I hope that this helps a few people and I'm assured by KN that the facts are correct, but then again somebody may know different!

To be honnest I'm quite enjoying it and I've actually learnt a little about wheel origins as sad as it may be!

Think I'd question my sanity before setting up the deal for a third time due to the flack. Having sadi that I'm moved by the support from other members.

Still all things considered I think next year it should be a.n.other sat in the "hot seat"! Then they can show us how to run a smooth NON PROFIT making project(loss if I added up time, fuel and phone etc).

Anyway that enough of all that rubbish and self pity, it's about I tasked KN for an update on deliveries! Feel a surprise visit is in order!!!!

KN have promissed to start deliveries of the 6" wheels this week! The 7" jobbies will follow on behind a little.

Before you all get over excited! In KN words, they will not be supplying every wheel this week, simply starting to send out wheels against a priority order list.

Now then who's most desparate to receive 6" wheels? If a couple of weeks would "really" make that much difference then please phone me ASAP tonight as I will be generating a pick list for KN on Thursday in an attempt to hit Fridays post.

Should I not hear any genuine plea's (donnations to nuke the luke may tip the balance)then I will attempt to deliver in the reverse of date final order received as I feel this is fair.

Hope this makes sense? Phone number for all the begging calls is (01952) 240730, not too late please as I have a small child and I need the sleep!!!!!! Say 10:00pm latest - Thanks

Without reading all 700 pages of this thread, I'm in the market for a spare set of wheels for my Superlight R. Is there a conclusion as to where to get them from?

The wheels will be for a set of slicks (keeping ACB10s on the other rims); Caterham quoted me approx 90 squid a corner for these tyres, does this seem right?

Cheers

Andrew

I have spoken with KN today and confirmed that wheel orders will start to be shipped next week. KN are on shutdown for the week as far as manufacture goes but the staff will be on site. Presently they estimate that they have five sets of black and highlite 6" wheels ready. They are hopeful of having a couple of set of silver wheels ready but cannot confirm this at the moment. The weeks holiday will enable them to sort out the stock. 7" are still a little time away but then again with KN you never know?

Postage cost work out at £3 per wheel within the UK, but please DON'T SEND MONEY yet as I will contact each person via email to confrim despatch and delivery costs.Once i've done this then if you could forwards a cheque to cover the small cost ASAP it would be appreciated.