Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil smoke on startup

Gridgway

My 1600 k is a bit oily out the exhaust. This happens particularly on startup after a few days/weeks rest. The engine has done 40k miles, but has had a top and bottom end done in the last 3-5k miles. I compression tested today to get 200psi on all 4 within 2 or 3 either way. It goes like stink, pulls like a train and as smooth as a baby's bottom.

I would think that the prob is valve guides/seals leaking oil down. Anyone any other ideas, and how can I diagnose same?

Graham

Dunno guv - I use my 7 all the time - but over last winter, I did pop it into a lockup for a month when I needed to use the tintop...

...it seemed a bit smokey on the initial startup too (approx. 15k miles, ex-academy). But it's been fine since...

You're obviously not using it enough *wink*

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Well, I *will* be asking him myself fairly shortly. I've purchased a s/h head from him and will be fitting it towards the end of the month(ish) - can't see there'll be a problem even though the HP should jump from 115ish to 150ish

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Exhaust valve guides/stem seals are the most likely. The K engine is canted over in the Caterham installation resulting in up to 3/4 of a liter of oil is being trapped within the head pooled over the exhaust valve stems. Its a fair guess that some of this oil will find its way past any worn valve stem seal when stood resulting in a smokey exhaust on start up. If it were worn piston oil control rings expect smoke under hard acceleration

Now I have exactly the same problem, which has appeared since the last engine rebuild.

A DVA head, new liners and Omega pistons... since then the

rear wing has always shown a sooty deposit, which is getting worse. However, since the engine has only done 5,000 miles, I have assumed it must be rings rather than the head as DVA fitted new valves, guides and I assume new seals.

The other reason I feel it is a piston related problem, rather than valve, is that after an oil change, the oil becomes dirty again very quickly, which I assume indicates gases pushing past the rings.

We will get the "London/Brighton" sausage run out of the way and then it will be engine out time again.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine