Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Connecting to an Emerald with a Laptop

CageyH

I am looking at getting an Emerald ECU soon, and know that you need a 9 pin com port.

The problem is that I am currently looking to buy a laptop soon, but most only have USB, and no serial ports.

Can you use a USB to serial connector successfully to load new maps?

Or do you need a laptop with a com port?

We had a similar problem at work recently for connection to data loggers. I was led to believe that there can be some issues on reliability of connecting to the kit we use (quite old) using usb>std serial adaptors. Nothing I can verify - just took the advice of others who had problems.

So despite the company standard being Toshiba, I ended up with a Dell Latitude with a serial port and usb.

Pick up an old one for next to nothing just for in the garage maybe?

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

I was toying with buying a new laptop about a year ago and ran into the same problem.

The AMD based machines seemed to retain the serial port longer than pentium based machines. I could have bought a new AMD based laptop with serial port last year.....don`t know if this is still the case!

I have also been told by a number of people that a USB to serial convertor will work although I`ve never seen or tried it myself.

In the end I bought a second hand P3 complete with serial port. I only use it for keeping the car club details and website up to date and for connecting to Emerald so it doesn`t really need huge amounts of power.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec