Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Immobiliser/ECU

Luke Beaumont

Quick question first - push button switches for horn duty.- I've scanned through RS & Maplin, and I guess I want round, red and approx 1/2" dia. The trouble is that the catalogues don't give any indication of feel or travel, so has anyone got a recommendation?

Now the gritty bit. Fitting a K into the seven from a Rover, I neglected to pick up the immobiliser from the donor car. I estimate that it won't start at all without this component. If so, it seems I'll need the ECU farting with to recognise another immob. Is it likely that an ICE installer will be able to this, or is it a trip to the Rover dealership with cap in hand? I take it I don't need to bring the entire car for this job, just the ECU?

Thanks,

Luke

Luke

I'm building a 160+BHP VVC superlight at the moment, I bought the ECU, immobiliser and keyfobs over the counter so they weren't matched up. I booked my car in at the local dealers today. They reckon about an hours work. They need to access the cars diagnostic port to do the work. The immobiliser is a ywc106240 at £143 +vat and the keyfob is YWX101220A at £51.13+vat.

I'd ring back the breakers and double check that they cant get the bits for you, it will save best part of £250.

I wish I had the matching bits but no one has written off a Trophy 160 yet so I had to pay through the nose for the bits. For info the ECU was only £200!! Cheapest new ECU I've ever seen.

If there is anything else Rover VVC related you'd like to know, I'd be glad to help.

Cheers

Bob

Rump! Unfortunately, the famous head-in-sand trick means that I'm just starting to get serious about this problem a good 5 months since I got the engine off the scrappie, so I reckon the donor car is long gone sad.gif

So, 3rd party immobilisers don't do the job then? Or are they in addition to the stock immobiliser? Come to think of it, what's the black box that sits under the ECU in the engine bay? Is there any way to run without an immob. at all?

Apologies for the protracted questions, but my last experience of rag-top security was taking the rotor arm with you!

Thanks for the offer, Bob. Buying a new ECU doesn't make me too happy, though, as I had intended to get a programmable job with a VVC cam conversion kit next year.

The black box you are talking about contains 4 relays (main, starter, fuel, oxygen sensor).

Paying 250 pounds now to match them seems a waste if you're planning upgrades, better splash out 500 for a M3DK...

Tor Atle