Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car polish/wax

Miles Taylor

I normally use autoglym which I find brilliant. However my new 7 has graphite paintwork and natural carbon wings, back and front and nosecone. When you polish off the autoglym white powder is visible especially in the rougher areas of the carbon fibre. Can any of you suggest an alternative polish that doesn't leave the powder behind.

Milo

If you are wanting to give a good shine and protection to carbon I would say you wouldn't need a polish but just a good wax. Polish should be used to prep the paint and then protected by an oil based sealant (such as AG Extra Gloss Protection) or a hard wax.

One of the best waxes is 'P21S', only avaible in the UK from this company - www.seriousperformance.co.uk, as it is american and not distributed here. It is made from 100% natural carnuba wax so does not leave any white residue. Its very easy to use, great on paint and the results are brilliant. On something like a daily driver tin top you would need to top it up every month or so to ensure good protection and deep shine.

In the past I have spent fortunes on Zymol products, buying all the 3 stage application and to be honest, it is alot of hassle to apply correctly, but it does give superb results, much better than Autoglym. The only downside is that it costs a fortune for the full setup.

I have just finished using the Zymol wax that is now available from Halfords, car shampoo and wax are available. It's still expensive (£8 per bottle I think), but after washing and then giving my car 2 coats of the wax and then 'setting' the wax with a water spray and final buff, all I can say is that I am amazed at the results. The finish is very deep with a fantastic mirror shine.

Zymol is great, you have to rub it in quite well (avoiding circular motions) and because it is a 'cleaner wax' it removes the dirt and grime that washing leaves behind and leaves your paintwork with a silky smooth feel, a great shine and protected.

You could probably go the extra and buy the Zymol hard wax as a last coat for longer protection.

www.R300.net