Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Red Flash 750 battery

millsn

My father has one on his Morgan and it seems to have no charge at the moment. It may have been flat for some time. Is this terminal (excuse the pun)?

Does anyone know what the 750 stands for (it's a V8 could it be Amp hours?

the battery is very small so it could be a gelpack version but I don't know enough about them. It has been trickle charged overnight but still has no go. What happens to them when you flat them? Do they lose charge more rapidly thAN STANDARD BATTERIES?

PLEASE RESPOND TO L.MILLS@BTINTERNET.COM ONLY I'M AWAY FROM HOME!

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs

Edited by - MILLSN on 22 Jul 2001 12:37:59

more mail...

Last week I had to change my Hawker SDS30 which is identical to the Red Top 25. It died because of some electrical problems, but the engineer I spoke to claimed that these batteries would not survive being completely flat over a period of time. I'm a bit puzzled by this information since I thought gel batteries had an advantage in this area compared to acid ones. Anyone?

I have just fitted a Hawker and the general opinion is that you have to keep them charged. From fully flat I believe that someone such as DMS can bring them back to life. They can supply a charger that can be left connected to the battery and will keep it topped up.I would contact DMS and get their advice. try www.dmstech.co.uk.

As a matter of interest the Hawker battery is exactly the same as the Red Top but at half the price. I bought an SBS30 for 65 pounds last month.

Seven batteries being small and generally a bit of a weak spot, I invested in one of those little 'batterymate' devices (actually a Carcoon one but I'm sure it's the same). Easy to use, can be connected/disconnected in seconds with the fly lead fitted to the battery. No need to worry about overcharging. Since buying mine battery problems have been a thing of the past. What have I said!

Thanks for the responses. We charged it using a normal charger for 5 hours or so and we had life. Tim ill tell if it lives for very long. Annoying thing i that he has one of these chargers, he just doesn't have the time to use it! I've instructed him to connect it every time he leves the car now. Fingers crossed.

Re: the red top 25, I don't know if that's the same batery as he has.

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs