Click here if you are having website access problems ×

OIL - Please help me to help you

oilman

It may be of interest to some of you here that I have a meeting on Monday 6th September with the Silkolene Technical Department and their Chief R&D Chemist and I propose to raise amongst other things the lubrication requirements of this Club.

To assist me and them to put together a definitive list of recommendations for your different engines etc I need your help!

If we could compile a list of the different engine types, ages and sizes then it will save time and give us the possibility to make some general but accurate recommendations for an OIL FAQ thread.

Hope this is of assistance.

Thanks,

Simon

sales@opieoils.co.uk

Caterham 21. 1.8 K series on qed 425 cams (high lift ss equivalent) running 168bhp. Currently finishing running in period (2000 odd miles) and due for a change. Lots of road use, particularly concerned about sitting in traffic and about cold starts - very little if no track use.

This engine will get the best part of 25,000 miles of road use this year!

Caterham Seven SV Roadsport 140 hp Rover K-series x-power 1.8 lt.

1 year old and 7500 miles completed. Run in during the first 700 miles. Wet sump.

7200 (?) rev limit. Oil changed every 3000 miles. Lots of road use and track use but not used during winter (no very cold starts.)

Seven-Ecstasy.co.uk

How's My Driving?

Call 1800-BITE-ME

Edited by - bongomania on 1 Sep 2004 13:10:35

7 year old 1.8k series, done 32k miles. 27 track days. Oil change every 3k miles but noticing oil consumption up (increased blow-by) since fitting Omega pistons. 168 hp at wheels and limited to 7600 rpm, fitted with Apollo tank so capacity 7 litres plus. Very little town use, currently use Halfords fully synthetic.

Oilman, nice one, as it happens I was going to try Silkolenes 5w-40 (pao/ester) oil next!!

1.6K Standard 115bhp. Appollo anti-cav tank. No or very little road use. Used for racing, testing & trackdays

1.6K Standard 115bhp. Dry Sump. No or very little road use. Used for racing, testing & trackdays

1.6K Supersport 133bhp. Appollo anti-cav tank. No or very little road use. Used for racing, testing & trackdays

1.6K Supersport 133bhp. Dry Sump. No or very little road use. Used for racing, testing & trackdays

1.8K Supersport R (R300) 160bhp. Appollo anti-cav tank. No or very little road use. Used for racing, testing & trackdays

1.8K Supersport R (R300) 160bhp. Dry Sump. No or very little road use. Used for racing, testing & trackdays

1.8K R400 200bhp. Dry Sump. No or very little road use. Used for racing, testing & trackdays

Thanks for taking the time & effort involved in doing this. The above lists the majority of variations that Caterham currently have race series for thus these cars are driven as hard as any. Milages will generally be low <10,000 but they would have been hard miles. I believe that the majority of racers currently use Comma's Caterham badged 5w-50 motorsport oil (that is not pao/ester based)

1979 Ford CrossFlow rebuilt and bored out to 1700cc approx. eight years ago.

Road use only. Not thrashed about. Infrequent use during the winter (2 to 3 weeks between start-ups). Kept in heated garage.

I like your idea of a seperate something for oil questions.

Not sure if you're allowed to post prices or advertise but it may be okay to post a link to a seperate web site where prices are. Anybody out there who knows what's allowed?

Ken Sailor

Sounds like a plan.

1994 2.0 VX, dry sump, 1300 miles, no road use (I'm about to change that 😬) hard track use between 1994 and 1997 (been stored since) with regular engine rebuilds during racing life. Complete engine rebuild prior to being stored. Been advised 200+BHP.

Currently use 5-50 Valvoline fully synth, oil was changed every race.

Trying to put a 2.0 VX race car on the road :)

Caterham Seven SV Roadsport 140 hp Rover K-series x-power 1.8 lt.

1 year old and 13500 miles completed. Wet sump. Apollo tank(ish)... not finished install yet!

6800 rev limit. Oil changed every 4-5000 miles. Lots of road use and track use. Used during winter in all weathers. Revs always kept low until up to temperature.

2002 SV VHPD modified 210bhp, KTN throttle bodies, modified exhaust, emerald, dry sump

900 miles running in

17,000 miles mixture track, rallye, fast road driving, touring from sea level to 3,500m altitude *thumbup*

currently use Castrol Syntec GTX 10w50

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 USA 2005: How the West Was Driven

Edited by - Steve-B on 1 Sep 2004 21:07:11

Superlight 1.6 k series, circa 135hp

43000 miles

Apollo de-aeration tank fitted

Road, track, hillclimb and sprint use.

Power likely to increase to 180hp still on 1.6 capacity, revving to 8000. Engine will be rebuilt with new big ends, forged pistons.

Currently use Caterham 5/50.

RHD 1995 HPC C20XE. So called "Evolution 3" (black top) Swindon prepared 235HP (that's the claim anyway) motor. Wet sump with sliding piston hydraulic accumulator. 2600 total miles, mostly track days and 1 hour blats. No cold weather starts. Typically driven between one and two miles above sea level... *wink*

-Bob

95 HPC VX