Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speed Championship Class Records

Mark Durrant

As the times in all classes continue to fall would it be opossible to compile a list of class records for each venue 🤔 I realise that this may initially take some work but thereafter it would simply be a matter of maintenance after each event.

BB if you consider this to be worthwhile I am happy to assist *thumbup*

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

assuming that only events that are part of the l7 championship count then class 3's curbourgh record was taken by Dave Mcfarlane on Sunday with a time around 60.45

I am happy to compile class 3 if that would help 🤔

I suspect most will belong to Mr McFarlane Jnr *thumbup*

rob *smile*

ok - 5 mins checking the records and I reckon for class 3 we have as follows

Course *arrowright* Time *arrowright* Who *arrowright* When *arrowright* What

Aintree *arrowright*52.18 *arrowright*Dave McFarlane *arrowright*Sep-03 *arrowright*1700 X-Flow

Curborough *arrowright*60.45 *arrowright*Dave McFarlane *arrowright*Aug-04 *arrowright*1700 X-Flow

Harewood *arrowright*69.75 *arrowright*Robin Oldfield *arrowright*Jul-04 *arrowright*1700 X-Flow

Llandow *arrowright*81.19 *arrowright*Dave McFarlane *arrowright*Jul-03 *arrowright*1700 X-Flow

Loton *arrowright*58.76 *arrowright*Dave McFarlane *arrowright*Jul-04 *arrowright*1700 X-Flow

Lydden *arrowright*82.9 *arrowright*Rob Grigsby *arrowright*Apr-03 *arrowright*1800 X-Flow

MIRA *arrowright*51.85 *arrowright*Barry Hunt *arrowright*Jun-03 *arrowright*1700 X-Flow 🤔

Wiscombe *arrowright*49.72 *arrowright*David Nelson *arrowright*Sep-04 *arrowright*1800 K

so to confirm x-flows are the engine to have in class 3 ☹️

{eddited to say except at wiscombe *wink*}

rob *smile*

Edited by - robmar on 31 Aug 2004 11:57:32

Edited by - robmar on 1 Sep 2004 08:40:46

Edited by - robmar on 13 Sep 2004 09:35:56

Edited by - robmar on 23 Feb 2005 14:08:27

Class 2 Records are as follows;

Lydden *arrowright*Andy Nicholls *arrowright*89.37 *arrowright*April 04 *arrowright*1800K

Llandow *arrowright*Mark Durrant *arrowright*85.27 *arrowright*April 04 *arrowright*1800K

Curborough *arrowright*Barry Hunt *arrowright*63.22 *arrowright*Aug 02 *arrowright*1700Xflow

MIRA *arrowright*Barry Hunt *arrowright*53.64 *arrowright*June 02 *arrowright*1700Xflow

Harewood *arrowright*Adam Hay *arrowright*71.65 *arrowright*July 04 *arrowright*1700Xflow

Loton *arrowright*Mark Durrant *arrowright*62.86 *arrowright*July 03 *arrowright*1600K

Aintree *arrowright*Colin Heseltine *arrowright*53.27 *arrowright*Sept 03 *arrowright*1600K

Amended to include times of Barry Hunt.

So it looks like the K series is just the engine to have in Class 2 *tongue*

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Edited by - Mark Durrant on 1 Sep 2004 10:11:37

The thing that isn't entirely clear from that list is how many times various Xflows didn't actually manage to compete!! in particular mine failed at the first sprint this year and has been in the garage ever since. Dave's had loads of problems as well... they are quick but seemingly not totally reliable...

Still nice to know I hold the class 3 record for Lydden although I very much doubt that will stand after next year as it was set on rock solid hard compound ACB10's and should easily be beaten by someone on a set of sticky A24's..

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 31 Aug 2004 14:00:44

Class 4 - since none of the other class 4 contenders post regularly on here..... *smile*

Lydden *arrowright*Mike Bees *arrowright*82.49 *arrowright*1700K??

Llandow *arrowright*Dave Jackson *arrowright*81.65 *arrowright*1600K

Curborough *arrowright*Ken Evans *arrowright*61.18 *arrowright*1800K

MIRA *arrowright*Mike Bees *arrowright*50.87 *arrowright*1700K??

Harewood *arrowright*Ken Evans *arrowright*67.37 *arrowright*1800K

Loton Park *arrowright*Ken Evans *arrowright*58.45 *arrowright*1800K

Aintree *arrowright*Andy Griffiths *arrowright*50.44 *arrowright*2.0Vx

It looks tidier without dates and I couldn't be 🙆🏻ed. *smile*

Edited by - KenEvans on 31 Aug 2004 15:32:52

Rob - very true , but dave seems to have cured his bad luck from the start of the season *thumbup*

and I guess that is the price you pay for more power (i.e. more unreliability) ☹️

I reckon your class 3 record may last for a while, as you had a lot of 'local' knowledge of the place *thumbup*

rob *smile*

• Area Representative

Class 2 *arrowright* Curborough *arrowright* Barry Hunt *arrowright* 63.42 *eek* *arrowright* May 02 *arrowright* 1700XF

That was my first sprint and was pleased to to do 69.07 beat my own target of 70 seconds - how things change 😬

I've still got to find a whole second to match Barry's mark

Barry - have you gone faster than that? (in the old car!!)

Edited by - Richard Price on 31 Aug 2004 15:13:21

Just thought I should clear a few points up .

1:- Sorry Rob but the 1800 X-Flow will be made for next year and is still only a 1700cc

2:- Rob G I think your time at lydden was stunning and will stand for some time. I feel this realy is one of the tracks it helps to know and as it sends my car round the clock just to get there then it could be a few years of one morning a year for me to get anywhere close to that sort of time.

3:- My 2003 1700 X-Flow only had 123.6 BHP and was down on power from BB's and probably most other 1700 X-Flows as I only used a relativly small valved head and these were my times with that engine and all else was standard too apart from the dry sump.

Llandow-03,,,,,,,83.07 81.78 81.89 81.19

;-,,,,,,,,04,,,,,,------- 81.96

Mira-03;-,,,,,,,,,,54.71 54.24

;-,,,,,,,,04;-,,,,,------ 55.18 53.49 52.21

Loton-03--BB's car

;-,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,64.86 62.37 61.45 59.97

;-,,,,04;-,,,,,,,,,73.22w 60.91 58.76 ------

Curb-03;-,,,,,,,,63.73 61.86 61.54 60.83

;-,,,04;-,,,,,,,66.08 60.35 74.04w 60.45

Aintree-03;-,,,,,61.24 57.93 55.09 52.18 Ouch! WET

I think that this shows that the extra X-Flow power does not make as big a differance at most venues as some seem to think.

I must also add that the problems that I was having at the start of the year were componant problems and not engine and these componants could be on any engine and were not on mine by choise. So what i am saying is that if these X-Flows are built right and the componants arn't crap than they can be as reliable as most others.

Sorry for blabing on but for a Bi-monthly post it's not that long!

Time to clean the grease and oil from the key-board.

Sorry it was all spaced out better when I typed it. (you can see why I don't do this much)

Gemzoe

Edited by - Dave McFarlane on 1 Sep 2004 01:00:45

It the troublemaker, take cover, light the fuse, But lets keep it nice and not turn this into a slagging match.

I think it is hard to compare times from one year to the next. If the track conditions/ weather conditions are not the same then you can only compare % of the quickest time to get any real meaning.

Dave you are an amazingly quick driver and I and may others are gob smacked how quick you are. It would seem that it makes no diffrence if you are in your 03 ,or 04 spec car you are realy fast. As a new boy this year I have been playing with some sums to see if i can get close to you next year.

My thought go like this. your cars top speed is much greater than anyone in the class, 96mph compared with the next fastest of 89 at curb. this is the speed of class 5 , Dave J car only made 97 mph. This was also seen at mira i beleave. Continuing to look at the figgers from this year, you would also be 1st in class 5 at this time, I think Adrian would be 3rd.

As for next year I hope to get closer to you but this will depend on what your new engine is like, now light I can get my car, now much quicker A24 are over 32ss, how far I can bend the regs and the main stumbling block how quick i am able to drive.

Dave I think your driving is at the top of the club champoinship with Brodie, Dave, and a few others. I look forward to next year and hope the champoinship is as frendly good humered and fun as this year.

David

Dave - thanks for poitning out that with onl 123.6 you where still much faster than me 😳

I will change the 1800 to 1700 I was sure you where running 1800, why did you not go to 1800 🤔

I agree that you say big power is not the be all and end all, and I think your times in your tiny engine proves that as dvaid says you are a quick driver. However for those of us handicapped by lack of skill 😳 we need the extra horses to keep up 😬

see you in class 3 next year as well *thumbup*

rob

David N

I agree that conditions will vary but with the exception of MIRA the tracks remain unchanged year on year. I am of the opinion that there is value in keeping class records as it enables competitors to compare their performance against a known standard, just as they do in other forms of motorsport.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Richard,

My Class 2 best time was 63.22 in August 2002 (but I did 62.89 in the Marshals sprint). I think 63.22 still stands as the class 2 record.

My MIRA best in Class 2 was 53.64 in June 2002, which I think still stands as the Class 2 record.

Barry

Barry

Apologies for not originally including your times for MIRA and Curborough as these were not known to me. I have amended my original post accordingly.

I think both of these will stand for sometime and I'm not sure I will ever get close to them but at least it is something to aim for next year *thumbup*

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

David Nelson: You can get a very good gauge of both how competitive a driver/car is and how a change of power may effect their placing by plotting speed trap speed(roughly corresponds to bhp) against run time. . . .. quite an interesting exercise *thumbup* Below the average and the car/driver is relatively poor, above it, relatively good....

Accumulating bits . . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Area Representative

An update of the Curborough class 2 record.

I did 63.08, but I was beaten by Mark Durrant on 63.01 in the timed runs.

I couldn't quite match my practice time of 62.61. I'll have another go tomorrow!

Edited by - Richard Price on 14 May 2005 22:11:44