Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

A Bit Tyred

cat7girl

I'll soon need to put some new tyres on my H.P.C rims and noticed in the Demon Tweeks Catalogue that A032 are made in this size. I read in this forum/somewhere that 13inches is what i need ooer but i am happy to sacrifice outright handling and stick with my current wheel size. I just dont want to make a wrong choice about tyres for the rims i have. What are you chaps using on 16 inch rims and what do you think I should fit for good grip

Cat7.girl@talk21.com

All the fun u need……

I have looked at this a lot, and also spoken to Caterham and a number of race teams. It depends what you are after, the best tyres both for grip and acceperation are R13 rimes. 185 tyres are supposed to give optimum handling. I was looking at putting wider wheels on for looks and apparently the handling degrades. accelerarion is reduced etc. etc. Acceleration decrease is noticeable simply by putting a higher profile tyre on. I use the cut slcik Avon's in the dry which offer a very low profile.

On the track I try and get slick seconds which Avon do not make a 185 but do a 195 whoch fits the R13*6" rims.

The larger (R13 etc.) I am not keen on at al esthetically either, I think it raises the car and makes it appear more cumbersome. The smaller rims and ow profiles keep it lower and more race like (with the smaller cycle wings!).

Anyway, I think most people end up with Yoko's, supplied by a number of company's inc. Caterham as they seem to offer the most grip in the wet whilst being reasonably soft to get reasonable mileage combined with pretty good track grip.

Also remember, bigger wheels - the higher the car's centre of gravity. Also the high profile the tyre, the more the tyre walls can lean or roll round corners (less stiff bascially).

Others may disagree, but these are my thoughts.

Cheers,

Jase.

Well due to cost and the fact I like the look I want to keep the 16 inch rims and am aware of the benefits of a smaller rim. Just really want to know what tyres to fit on the rims I have

Cat7.girl@talk21.com

All the fun u need……

Jase

Whoever told you "I was looking at putting wider wheels on for looks and apparently the handling degrades. accelerarion is reduced etc. etc. " was talking gonads.

Sidewall compliance is what is key here as the Seven suspension does not work well over small high frequency undulations.

8" ACB10's are effectively a 245/45/13 - these work fine if you can handle the crossply induced instability, otherwise look at CR500's.

The A032R now comes in a 215/50/13 which will probably be a good cost compromise.

Arnie Webb

So fat the chassis snapped....wink.gif

See Fat Arnies 2 piece Seven here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

See the Lotus Seven Club North Kent Website here

Arnie, all that stuff dosent help me much, i am stuck with 16 inch wheels can you perhaps recommend a suitable tyre so I dont waste my money? Do you lot think the A032 that is good in 13 inches would be good for my 7 at 16 inches or should i just get some cheapo MaxPower tyres

Cat7.girl@talk21.com

All the fun u need……

Catgirl,

I've just fitted a set of Avon ZZ1's 205/45/16ZR to my 16" HPC wheels.......got them at £85 each inc. fitting and balancing......they are a lot better than the original Pilots which were hardly worn (I sold them for £100).

Car feels good on them Cat and they look good on rims, but I deffo only use 13" on track....albeit with List 1A rubber. Hope that helps.

Kenny HPC

Cat7girl

You best investment is to ditch the 16" wheels and buy some 13's secondhand. Tyres for 13" wheels are significantly cheaper as well.

You should easily be able to sell the HPC Wheels to a member of the Robin Hood Club - thats another bit that will fit their cars.

Arnie Webb

So fat the chassis snapped....wink.gif

See Fat Arnies 2 piece Seven here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

See the Lotus Seven Club North Kent Website here

I don't know, none of you has really answered the poor girl. She wants to keep her 16" rims, simple enough, they do look good, OK there is some trade off against 13", but really they are not that bad.

Yes, I know 'cause I seem to be the only person that actually uses 32's on 16" rims, on my rather weighty, Vauxhal powered 21 [that the club won't allow into their sprints, but that's another matter!] and yes they do work fine. They need a couple of laps to warm up, but after that they are like bluetack to a blanket. On the road, they are just fine too.

They are only available in size 205/50/16, ie not 45 section, but that really isn't a problem. When I had the car rolling roaded at Dave Walkers place last year, he commented that I had the most accurate speedo reading of any car he had tested, although looking at some of the stuff that goes through his workshop, I'm not sure quite how much of a compliment that is! So a 50 section would appear to be the correct size for an accurate speed, and not tall enough to give handling problems either.

Cat7girl, if you are down in Somerset with your car, and want to give these 32's a trial, you will be most welcome. just let me know.

Anythings else I can tell you about them?

They were not cheap! A so called friend in the trade let me have them for something in the region of £120 each last year. I think that there are far better prices available, maybe somebody like George Polley Motorsport could do better.

I have to say though, that unless you're going to use them on the track, there are probably cheaper tyres available that would feel just as good on the road, safer speeds and all that.

At home now, so can join in.

I strongly suspect that any 16" tyre worth having is going to cost you twice as much, or more, than A021Rs etc...

I'd take a look into the Bridgestone S03s if I were you. Micheldever tyres, BMTR, Polley (who'll be best placed to give the best price on Yokos as he's the distributor!) etc. would all be worth trying for decent prices...