Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ride height after new de dion?

RogNeedham

• Leadership Team

another starter for ten. Had to replace the de dion tube on a '91 xflow. On the old tube there c.4-5in bolts attaching through the tube to the shocks. On the new one the bolt screw into the tube. The result is that everything runs fine but the ride height is lower by c.0.5-1 inch. *confused* Exhaust catches on trailer where as it didn't before.....

Can this be rectified 🤔

Cheers

Rog

What shocks are you running?

If you have the black bilsteins then you could move the spring seat up the shocker body. The spring seat sits on a circlip in a groove in the shocker body, there are a set of grooves approx one every half inch, move up one groove to raise it half inch, two grooves to raise it an inch etc etc.

Or take the opportunity to change to the adjustable spring seats then you can fine tune the ride height. Remember every problem is an opportunity to spend even more cash *cool*

• Leadership Team

Chelspeed - thanks for the advice. I've had a look at the shocks and they are the old Bilsteins. Problem is the spring cups are already on the highest setting *confused*...damn.

Suppose it's new shocks / adjustable platform solution now

Cheers

Rog

Another possibility is longer springs, this will be cheaper. About 20 or 30 quid a pair. Huge range available.

Take the old springs off, measure the free length, find out the spring rate (bit more difficult, but probably 170lb/in).

Then ring Demon and ask for some springs of the same rate, 1.5 inch longer free length (or go say 2 inch longer and put the spring platform an inch lower and get some more fine tuning) and 1.9 inch ID.

Only worry is that the longer springs may foul the de dion tube itself at the lower end so check for clearance first.

Rog,

Sorry don't have an answer but it does need sorting. Rear end is far too low and handling will inevitably suffer. I'm really suprised they are on the highest setting as I had mine on the lowest! Is there room to get some additional grooves machined?

MikeW

Mega Grad