Click here if you are having website access problems ×

74 degree stat doesn't fit

V7 SLR

I read the comments both in Low Flying and on this site about the virtues of running your car a shade cooler, so I bought the thermostat as was quoted here, part no. GTS1102, but it's a different shape to the original.

OK, the truth is, I haven't actually got round to fitting mine yet, but Mick Smith has, and he says the original thermostat in his Caterham has a flat flange whereas the GTS1102 one has a single semi-circular "rib" running round the circumference of it, and is altogether wider. Mick's ground his down a bit, but surely this wasn't what was advocated by whoever told me about the GTS1102 was it?

Also, the GTS1102 has an air bleed nipple which hangs through the single 3 or 4 mm hole in the flange and looks flimsey. I reckon it'd perish over time and fall off into your water jacket. Any reason why I shouldn't just cut it off? Don't some people drill holes in their flanges anyway with no problems to aid water flow over the wax pellet?

The GTS1102 comes off a Rover Diesel engine.

Is it really that hard to change without removing the TB's? Damn. I was hoping for an easy-change. Remember where the therm was on an A-series? Right in front of you as you face the engine in situ.

The bleed nipple thingy is going to get junked I'm afraid. I can see no common sense reason for having it. So it lets a little water through all the time... I'm sure it never gets cold enough, even in the UK, that the therm is required to stay shut at all times. Having a small hole open permanently may help to prevent oscillating of the temperature when the therm opens and shuts. I've got the big rad, so when the therm opens it sends a lot of cold water into the engine. If I can reduce that effect, even a little.... Then again, a properly operating water system should do this. I know it happens on the Elise but that's because of the distance from rad to engine. There's probably a small bouce even in a Caterham.

Peter, you have a 72 degree therm then? Is there any particular way that you can determine what therm would be best for your engine? Is it, colder = better? That can't be, or we'd run without a therm altogether I guess, so what's best?

Edited by - V7 SLR on 20 Jul 2001 15:40:16

V7, running without a thermostat is not a good idea, because the cilinder close to the thermostat will always run cooler than the cilinder on the opposite side. In extreme conditions the rubber hose may collapse due to the increased waterflow, this depends on the lenght and condition of the hose.

• 2 months later...

Update on this, having just swapped my t'stat for a 74:

Moprod it seems have become a Quinton Hazell brand, and the Moprod part no. mentioned above now translates to QHA101. QH parts are widely available from the usual motorists stores. I paid 4 quid.

The thermostat has no bleed holes, but is 2mm larger in diameter than the original, so it needed a bit of careful grinding of the flange to fit. An easy job with a bench grinder. This with the plastic t'stat housing.

I'm still wondering if I really did pay £10/gallon for premixed Comma Colstream though. Must've been a dream.

I remember calling Lotus about this a while back (when tracking down the elusive lower rated thermostats) and they had some recently delivered ones that didn't fit - apparently some design changed, or so they reckoned. Very peeved they were as they weren't sure what they were going to use.

Me? I don't run one. Appreciate this may not be technically a good idea, but the oil/water heat exchanger and the big rad I have seem to do a decent enough combined job of keeping the temps very constant.

It also means that there's only ever cold water in the whole system at startup (warms through quickly anyway) and never a time when a hot engine gets fed cold water. Whether one end of the engine gets cooled better than the other I don't know, but I wouldn't have though the difference would be *that* great, and if it were surely a thermostat equipped engine will suffer in exactly the same way, the water will just be even hotter when it does?

OK, so it's probably not as simple as all that but I can't be arsed fiddling with it. It seems to work (cue serious engine issues the next time I get out in it), and I'll never have to take my tb's off (even if I could) or spend 3 quid on a thermostat again smile.gif.

Oil and water temps get up to 75degC or so in short order (5 to 10 mins usually)and stay there pretty much *all* the time, unless stuck in traffic in summer at which point they rise to about 85degC (well water does anyway, oil just goes up a few degrees).

On LeSept the temperatures very occasionally rose enough to switch the fan on but cooled off suitably quickly.

Further to this...

I now have no stat in there.

The one we pulled out did not open in a pan of water.

The new stat which I got from Halfords did seem to open up in a pan of water, but when we fitted it to the car the water temp still shot up to 100c and stayed there.

The only thing I can think of is the stat was in the wrong way, can anyone tell me what way they are suppose to go in??

My head gasket is fine BTW.

Ta

Simon.

X777CAT