Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Building from components

ROC

I will be building my first seven shortly. It is a 1600 Superlight with the anti cavitation tank. Does anyone know of a library of photos or any other recourse online that might help. Besides the tools listed in the build manual are there any others that are unusual like the 41mm socket (the cut off Allen key is in the assembly guide).

As I live in Sri Lanka and they do not allow cars in component form to be imported I will be building it in the UK. I have left myself 2 weeks for the build and 2 days post the Caterham crew’s check over before going for the SVA– is that enough time (I am an engineer by training – though have never worked as one).

Rupert Connelly

How much of the 2 weeks will you be building for? Are yo taking time off work or is that just evening?

When i built my car a few years ago I took a week off work and had the car finished in 8 days. However, this was before the SVA tests so can not comment on this part of it. Technically enough time, but you aren't leaving much time for shortages in the kit from Caterham which may hold the build up, or other problems.

I would feel inclined to give more time between the end of the buiild and the SVA, but then it is not nice having a finished car sitting in the garage waiting to be driven.

Phil Waters

Q181 ABL - 1600 X/F smile.gif

thanks Phil

I am coming to the UK specifically to build the seven. 100% of my time. Also I will be in Maidstone so not too far to go and get any pieces that I may want.

thanks for the feedback.

Rupert Connelly

Just a word of advice. I bought mine fully assembled and decided I would pick it up at the factory and do a round trip in Europe before heading home. On paper easy enough, but when you start to consider plane and ferry tickets, hotel reservations, time off work and so forth, it all becomes messy when you give Caterham a ring a week before deadline and they say that "oh no it won't be ready 'til then, that was just a guideline date". Like they never assured me it would be finished. Well in the end with a great deal of arm bending it went ok, but I can think of a thousand reasons why your planned 2 week stay will get re-scheduled twice and last 2 weeks longer. Missing parts (and out-of-stock items) being only one.

Just like you (I assume) I wanted to build the car myself but trust me you'll get plenty of opportunities later :-)

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Rupe,

I built my R500 in 42 1/2 hours (2 of us) but beware of missing bits in the 10 boxes you receive. Also, it's much more fun to build with a pal so long as you have a pass out from "The Boss". I got so excited that I didn't want to pack up till 4-5 in the morning!!!

Jules

Rupe

Sadly having watched the BBC news tonight you may have to build a few planes to get over here. Let's hope the situation in Sri Lanka calms down although difficult to see how in the near future.

Jan