Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speed traps

TomB

Speed traps : Driving home throught Liverpool today on one of those funny urban dual carriageways where no-one ever seems to know the speed limit, so traffic usually goes 40-50, even though its prob 30

There is a juntion to left about 200m in front. See floro yellow peeping through the hedge, think thats odd, brake. See tripod with camera on & behind the corner of the junction, a traffic police car & officer chatting to a van driver.

So, have I been done or not? Anyone know whether these tripod cameras are automatic or do they need to be used by a PC?

I didnt spot whwther a 2nd PC was sat in the car or not. Is this likely - I would have thought ot tie up 2 PC to operate camera & chat to caught drivers was overkill. If the PC was chatting to a driver, is it likely the camera would still get me?

Should buy an RA, but there always summat better to spend the money on!!

Dunno for sure - but in general...

...if they are not trying to stop anybody, it's auto...

...if they are - then they've either been really naughty boys, or it's a tax-scamera (i.e. people dodging road-tax and with dodgy number plates).

Incidentally, I got a laser tag from a speed-scameravan this w/e - but I was in 50mph traffic (on a 60 road) at the time. Dunno if I picked up scatter from them tagging someone else, or if they were just trying to get a pic of the car for fun... Nothing to worry about, I reckon.

Next time the road tax is due on one of your cars, don't take it a 600mile round trip away from where the MOT and insurance docs are stored - especially if the likelihood of a 'producer' is above average. I've got away with it - but it could easily have been a major disaster...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Tom, normally the tripod version of scamerama works by having the operator taking the piccy, radioing your description (car colour and number plate) to a colleague (usually on a motorbike) and you get 'pulled' a short way further down the road 😳

Alert to all shedders *eek*

ISTR that in areas where they have recently changed - which in 99% of cases means - reduced a speed limit, they (the local council) have to place warning signs of the new limit. An announcement will also have had to be placed on local roadside furniture/tree and in the local rag in advance of the new signs going up. If they haven't complied with this procedure, then the new limit is unenforceable *tongue*... but not a lot of people know that *wink*

A previous "40" on the outskirts of Grantham has just been reduced to "30" and a couple of days later, we spotted a policeman and camera tripod but (strangely) on his own... unfortunately, our Road Angel didn't alert us... *mad* ...but fortunately at the moment I spotted him, I glanced at the RA indicated speed and I was doing ... dead on 30 😬

FH *cool*