Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Oil Pressure

Crany

My 1.6 SuperSport K loses oil pressure (down to 1 bar) when given a sound thrashing (using 6000 rpm), it also starts to sound rattley from the top end (I think), if you slow down or use less revs for a while the oil pressure comes back and the noise disappears, what do I need to do :-

1. Engine rebuild ?

2. Apollo tank ?

3. Something else ?

Thanks, Mark.

Mark,

If you feel the need to remove the sump to have a look at the baffle, give us a shout and I`m sure I might be able to find room in the garage to give it a coat of looking at.

You know the numbers (I think)

All the best Bry

In space no one can hear you scream.....In a seven no one can smell your bottom !

It`s not yours,it`s.............

R7 NOW

Pressure should be about 4 bar 'at revs' hot - i.e. anything above 3kish revs.

Normal first-call (after checking the oil-level) would be to suspect the pressure-sender - but the noise is extremely worrying.

Don't overfill the oil though as a 'precaution' - you'll get a good 7-10degrees higher OT and that's not good either (especially as the oil will be frothed and you've not got an apollo to calm it down again...)

Get it looked at - if not by a 7 garage, then by another local owner or at a rover garage.

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I will re check the level, oil and foam baffle are only 8 months and 1000 miles (yes I know very poor) old, I think the problem was there before the car was serviced, but I put it down to old oil, I never get as much as 4 bar at revs hot, if it needs a rebuild it needs a rebuild I guess.

Mark.

Peter,

I know that they will rev more, but was under the impresion that the power didn't increase over 6000 rpm is this correct ?

I guess if you used more rpm it would put you in a higher power/rmp position in the next gear ? Or am I showing my ignorance ?

Mark.

• Support Team

Crany, Peter is taking the P*ss a little *tongue*. However I'm sure that peak power is some way above 6000rpm. I have my shift lights set at over 7000 and regularly use the full revs available - there is definitely more urge over 6000 so I recommend trying it (after you have got the oil up to temperature of course *smile*). One thing to watch is that you don't over-rev it - very easy in first and second. According to my Stack tell-tale I have seen 7800 😳

With regards to your oil pressure:

1. Check or replace the sensor as this is the most common casue of problems

2. Rattling at the top end could be the hydraulic tappets and this could be caused by air in the oil - an Apollo tank would help solve that. Also don't overfill with oil as that creates more windage in the sump and will make the aeration of the oil worse.

3. If you really are losing oil pressure then you need to get it seen to. Checking the state of the foam baffle in the sump would be a good thing to do and also low cost to replace.

If none of the above solve the problem then I guess you'll need a professional to look at it.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Leadership Team

When the foam baffle is replaced it is necessary to remove the oil pickup pipe and the windage plate. The pickup pipe is sealed into the block by an o-ring which MUST seal to give effective pressure. H

as the o-ring been replaced?

Are you satisfied that it is sealing correctly?

If there is a leak at the o-ring, in addition to a drop in pressure, the system can draw air, particularly if putting the suction under system under more pressure (pun not intended 😬) which you would be doing at high revs. This would in turn lead to rattly tappets until the air is dispersed out of the system.

Check it out?

Stu.

Having got fed up with electrical senders failing I, like a lot of others, have mounted it remotely to protect it from vibration. However this doesn't always solve the problem as electrical senders are inherantly poor in what they do. I've now bought a Mocal mechanical gauge to use as a reference but how accurate is this?

This is what Gene Berg says about gauges; his website is http://www.geneberg.com/:

"Why We Don't Sell Gauges — Technical Info

Most Gauges Are "Horrible"

I hear daily of engines being destroyed by people relying on gauges. I have run hundreds of accuracy tests on practically every inexpensive aftermarket gauge under $125 offered. Practically all read low in the 212 to 260 degree range by 40 to 50 degrees on oil temperature and head temperature gauges in the 250 to 550 degree reading range, again being low by as much as 250 or more degrees. I tested about twenty each of most brands such as VDO, Smith, Stewart Warner, Hawk, etc., and found none without these problems.

Oil temperature gauge readings would be 212 to 220 degrees on the gauge when the true test temperature was 240 to 260 degrees. Head temperature gauges read 385 degrees with a true test temperature of 550 plus degrees. When head test temperatures were upped to 700 degrees, the reading of the gauge went up to 390 to 395 degrees. The price range of such gauges was from $60 to $125. I swapped gauges with senders and got different readings. I found nothing in that price range I would wish on my worst enemy. Not one I tested could ever be properly calibrated or relied on in any way for any valid information or even as a comparison from day to day on the air cooled VW. Yes, even the oil pressure gauges were just as bad. I found good accurate gauges range from about $250 to $350 and few people would buy them. What was needed was a device that gave the information required and was reasonably priced. That was the reason for the GB 227 in the first place. It is specifically made and calibrated to provide an accurate reading in the ranges of the VW air cooled engine. Originated by Hal Brown in 1972. Made in the USA.

Note: If you must install an oil pressure gauge use GB 264-1/8 tee fitting and GB 265-1/8 pipe nipple to install the factory (Bosch VWA021-919-081B) light sending unit and the gauge together as the factory sender and light are over 100 times as fast to tell you if you run out of oil. Never use any sender that has the pressure and a light combination as they are extremely slow and you lose the rapid action that the factory light sender provides.

Warning: If you want gauges as a decoration fine, but never rely on them. After all, if they provided reliable information I would be selling them to make a profit just like our competition."

Replace them with Spa gauges. Simple job, they come with "proper" senders, and they're accurate.

The other benefit is theywill drive an external warning light which means you don't have to keep looking at the gauge. You wait until the light screams at you then kill the ignition and work out the issue with your engine "quiet"... i.e. not doing itself any more damage.

For what it's worth - I just tested my MOCAL mechanical oil temperature sender. In a pot of boiling water the gauge read just a touch under 100 and against a digital temp gauge, both read 60 when the water had cooled down - my tea now tastes funny 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Up date - Took the sump off last night, there was no debris in the pick up pipe, changed the seal on the pick up pipe (not sure that this was done when the new foam baffle was fitted !), re filled with new oil. I now have more more oil pressure and it didn't drop off or rattle, on the way home so fingers crossed and thank you to the collective knowledege.

Mark.

Mark,

Sorry I failed to reply to your text....various reasons

Glad to here the problem may be sorted, I`m on earlies all weekend but you can contact me on the normal channels...

Hope you feel happier about the weekend blat next week now.

Best wishes mate

Shaggers

In space no one can hear you scream.....In a seven no one can smell your bottom !

It`s not yours,it`s.............

R7 NOW