Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Harness rant

Hibster.

Decisions decisions, I've decided that I need to equipment my car with at least a driver-side harness before heading to Anglesey next month but I find myself confronted with too much choice.

So I'd thought I check the assembled shed knowledge base to help me decide

I'm also bearing in mind the old adage "get a cheap helment if you got a cheap head" but do I need 3" straps all round & turn-buckle and is having FIA approval worth anything in terms of safety?

The choices I think I've got are:

Caterham 4 pointers @ £120

Or Demon Tweeks

Luke Push button release, 2" straps £46.61+ VAT Non-FIA

or the same with turn buckle £86.62 + VAT Non-FIA

or Willans Supersport harnesses, 2" shoulder and 3" waist, push button £58.08+vat Non-FIA

or Willans Club 3" shoulder straps with either 2 or 3" waist, turn buckle £132.16+vat for 3" waist FIA approved

Or Caterham harnesses @ £116.89 + vat (No doubting how DT earned their nickname)

Or Willans Silverstone 3" all round @ £172.56 + vat FIA approved

All opinions greatfully received from those who've been this way before

Thanks

Paul *thumbup*

Supercheese R250

Edited by - paul davis on 14 Sep 2004 14:58:37

I had the Luke push button ones in my Birkin but got ones with 3" straps. I remember them being quite reasonable. May be worth speaking to Luke direct as they can sort you out with exactly what you want.

I`m going for the Caterham ones this time round as they actually appear reasonably good value as an option on the starter kit.

New duratec powered build underway *New website soon*

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

WEll, I've not had to actually *make* the decision myself (the car was ex-Academy and came belted-up), but FWIW...

...I've got the Caterham-badged 3" turnbuckle jobs (FIA approved, ISTR). 5 pointer for the driver, 4 pointer for the passenger.

Personally, I find the 5th (or 6th if you really want to go to town) belt is essential to hold you properly in place - otherwise you tend to 'submarine' with the belts riding up your chest - and that's not even in an accident situation.

I'm not entirely familiar with the 'push button' mechanism you mention - unless you are talking about 'clubman' spec harnesses which use the same sort of buckle and button arrangement as found in tintops. If you *are* talking about this kind of thing, personally, I'd recommend against it - I just don't trust them. However, some people can't 'live' with the minor hassle of putting a 4/5pointer on (you need to plug each one in, in turn, and also adjust the shoulder straps each time (well, I do...) - the clubmans type jobs are allegedly a lot less hassle - and if you are using inertia-reacts at the moment, you are not penalising yourself much in the safety department.

Sooo, to sum-up. I'd go for 3-inchers - they really do spread the load (and look the business...). 5 pointer for the driver (noting that I do have tillets - with a hole for the 5/6th belt - so you might have some 'fun' installing/using a five-pointer with comfy seats... And get proper turnbuckle jobs.

FIA approval is up to you - it's not a track-day requirement and is unlikely ever to be. Not sure about sprinting - but I doubt it at 'our' level.

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Neil *mad*

I know that your fave undies are made of string but my body was not cheap, I've invested loads with major brewers and vineyards to get like this, perfection ain't cheap.

You may now get back in your FB car to get spotted again

Paul *wink*

Supercheese R250

Paul

Get the Willans ones - they are much, much easier to adjust than the Caterham ones - in my car I used the Caterham ones that came with the kit for the passenger and got a decent set for myself! It's not that they are less safe, it is just a pain adjusting the Caterham ones (as you and Martin found at Brands when swapping over). Personally for a road car I'd go 3" shoulder and 2" waist. And get the pads to go over the shoulders too.

Cheers

G 4 Geoff

Leather Good - Carbon Fibre Bad

619 GTD here

Simon

Mine was an Academy kit rather than a road kit - with mine it was just the one harness, but I guess for a road kit they 'give' (and I use that word in the loosest possible sense!) you two!

G 4 Geoff

Leather Good - Carbon Fibre Bad

619 GTD here

Last thyme I heard an Arse sparrow grass, it was to get out of doing some bird. Aparantley he wasn't to keen on going in the big cage *eek* 😳 😬 *cool*

BB

PS I've just googled 'prison cage'... the first two hits are not for the feint of heart, and certainly along the line of what Boonie was eluding too... *eek*

• 3 weeks later...

The saga continues (back on topic)

I ordered the 4 pointers from DT 2.5 weeks ago, £146 after VAT and discount, delivery in 7-10 days.

After 10 days I called them again "we're expecting them tomorrow", OK so I should get them Friday ? "Yes". Friday came with no delivery, called them again "Oh they are showing as due in next Wednesday" *mad*, Grrrrr, "tell you what Sir, I'll chase Willans and call you on Tuesday"

At this rate I'd have been laying under the car doing up bolts by torch light in the Anglesey Arms carpark (in the rain).

So this morning I decided to ring round a few other potentials

James Whiting, they are on holiday

Redline - gave up on Willans 2 years ago, so why the F$$k are they still on your LF advert

GP Racewear - nope don't do Willans and are just flogging the few remaining items in stock

Millwood - only keep the Caterham ones in stock (but were very apologetic)

Merlin Motorsport - hurrah *thumbup* *thumbup* They didn't have the 4 pointer in stock with 3" lap but they did have the 6 pointer for £148 inc VAT (not in the colour that I wanted so, blue is the new black) and will be in my hot sweaty hands tomorrow

DT have just lost another order to someone who is considerably cheaper, DT want £190 + del for the same item *confused*

Paul

Supercheese R250