Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Anti cavitation.....will it work?

No.14

Hi All

Just been for my first track day...........what a day!!!..I can see why the 7 has been in production for such a long time....I was amazed.

However, one small problem. When cornering hard I occasionally experiencing a rattle from the engine. I've encountered this on the road every now and then also. I tried over filling with oil (only slightly) and this helped.........Will an anti cavitation tank sort this?...can't afford going to a dry sump. Also what would the anti cav. be like to fit ....is it easy?

(1.6 superlight)

The Apollo tank does work - you still get reduced oil pressure from surge, but you don't get aeration of the oil.

It's a bit of a pig to fit, and there was a recent thread describing it. Those in the know, know which bits of engine block to take a file to. and how to get it to clear the alternator.

Click here for instructions.

Click here for pictures

Click here for previous conversation

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 17 Jul 2001 10:30:05

No 14

Bet you noticed the pressure drop on right handers!

There is some conversation going on at the mo re. the 'K' series and the inclination of the engine in Caterham installations. No firm answers yet, but an 'Apollo' tank has got to be better than nought and is substantially less expensive than a full dry sump set-up!!!

Thanks for the info chaps..........I placed my order for the anti cavitation stuff yesterday .

As for the drop in pressure, I might have been able to comment had my "quality Caterham gauge" worked.....now there's a topic of conversation.

Can't wait to get back on track..........what a car!!!...It's only taken 4 years to get round to it.........better late than.........

Thanks again!!!

I had the same problem with oil surge on my VVC - then followed the advice from the folks on this site & had an anti-cav tank fitted.

Since then I've done acouple of track days - no real surge problems, although I still get a low oil pressure reading coming out of corners that builds back up as you accelerate - although given the poor/slow response of the standard oil pressure guage it's difficult to tell exactly what's going on.

Are there better instruments avilable??

Bit excessive but the Stack system is superb smile.gif

I suspect you're always going to be limited by the pressure sender anyway, so maybe one of the stand alone digital gauges might be a good bet?

The anti-cav tank on mine has made the surge situation better, but you still get a fair drop in pressure round right handers. Still, at least the oil that's there will be oil, and not Mr Whippy type oil.

Has anyone tried/considered fitting an accusump tank?

It combines a catch tank and a pressure accumulator, so that the fluctuations in the oil pressure are evened out - it can also be fitted with small electric pump to provide oil pressure prior to engine start. The plumbing would seem to be simpler than the normal anti-cav tank, and it does need to be mounted vertically.

Miraz

Baffling needs to be a bit clever to have the right effect, otherwise it can have the effect of preventing the oil getting as far as the pick up and it can cause increased windage.

Trapdoors are a good plan.

There should be a lot of expertise coming out of BTCC engine builders after this season.