Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting K Crank Oil Seal

shn7

The sealant that Rover quotes is a rover part .

It looks and feels just like regular silicon sealant to me , its not likley to find its way intot he engine or oil so I reckon regular silicon will be OK .

The manual states a 1mm bead then compresss overnight .

Dont forget you will also need to replace the patchlock bolts on the flywheel .

Dave

Another question about this. What's the best method for actually removing the old one and inserting the new one.

Is it a case of levering the old one out with something (thin bladed screwdriver) behind it?

Is the new one simply pressed in by hand, tapped in with a rubber mallet or some other method?

Hoping to get it fitted one evening this week.

Steve.

Prise the old one out from the middle so as not to damage the engine block and hence seal .

do the 1mm of bead sealant then press in by hand and a little tap - you will see when it comes to get done ..........

I then placed a weight on it and left it overnight .

dave

• Leadership Team

I have a length of angle iron with a couple of holes in to suit the flywheel/carnk holes - I use this to lock the crank from rotating when the engine is on an engine stand. when fitting a new crank seal, I've found that using this bar in combination with a couple of strips of wood enables the seal to be clamped in place. IIRC the Rover build manual requests that pressure is applied for only 1 minute - but best left overnighth *thumbup*

Stu.