Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

DIY car spraying?

Tonycaterham

I am thinking about re-spraying my son's car myself. He had an accident and only being insured third party fire and theft we are repairing it ourselves with new/secondhand panels etc etc.

I am reasonably competent with regard to knocking out dents and filling but rather than spend several hundred pounds getting various panels respayed, thought I would buy a compressor and do it myself.

I am looking to spend up to £200 on a compressor and a gun. (can use the equipment for other jobs so it will not be a one job purchase)

Am I mad or has anyone else gone down this route and any particulare equipment would you recommend?

Thanks

Tony

I did this many years ago with my Dad.

Top tips - get the biggest compressor (cfm or litres/min) you can afford. Geta spraygun which consumes a good deal less than this. Good ones are around 6CFM up so the compressor has to be at least 8CFM (2HP motor, 1500W, will cost at least £200 even tho' prices are down now thanks to the Chinese.)

You need a decent regulator and watertrap.

Don't underestimate the costs of paint and consumables.As a one-off job it may not be worthwhile compared to a backstreet job. Email me off line for further stuff if you need to. If you really are on a budget I can tell you how to spray household gloss and get a reasonable result. No, really. It helps if you want a white car...

I had a scrape in an old company car a few years ago that I didn't want to claim for. I got a local dent repair shop to spray a couple of panels. They did a very good job, and of course I paid them in cash *thumbup*

Cheaper than you might think.

Rik Robarts - bl**dy bright orange 1.4k SS here

Paint the car with a roller?

More years ago than I want to remember I raced against a friend who drove an old Mallock - one where you straddled the transmission and the gearshift poked up between your legs. He had painted his car BRG with a brush.

Looked okay going down the main streight at Bridgehampton but didn't look too sharp in the pits.

And all the jokes about front crashes, grabbing the wrong ..... when shifting, etc. have already been explored.

Ken Sailor

A point of Lotus history... if any of you have seen the 1959 Lotus Seven's promotional film, they actually show the DIY would be owner spraying the car with a foot pump i.e. pumping with his foot as he sprayed.

Great for a cheer from all watching but I would suggest that is all...

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine