Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VHPD parts

V7 SLR

Took V7's head off today and left it at DVA's for a refresh. Was pleased to find all components in fine condition, although there is definite signs of oil usage (those that followed me during the last couple of tours will confirm that).

I found that, contrary to my fears, the pistons to be in excellent condition. A little cleaning up with some spirits and they'll be as good as new. It seems a shame therefore that I may damage them removing them from the rods. The VHPD way of doing things is to interference fit the gudgen pin into the rod. To press it out risks damage to the piston.

I am buying new pistons anyway and obviously I would like to be able to buy steel rods too, but haven't really got the budget for it. However having found my current pistons in such good condition I wondered whether anyone would be interested in a cheap upgrade to VHPD rods and forged pistons. It would help me to offset the cost of the new rods and you would get an 8000rpm rev limit.

They'll need new rings. DVA reckoned it was likely that at 25K miles the oil control rings would be shot. Seems fair.

I don't know whether liners are reusable, but mine appear to be in fine condition too. No marks and if rumours are true, the VHPD engines benefited from "selected" liners, but that sounds a bit like bull to me.

No matter, I'd throw them in. You could use them or clean them and have them as ornaments.

1227 cams also for sale. These are also in excellent condition and have only done ~6-8K miles at a guess (installed them beginning of last year, did LtL, Italy2003 and BtB since then). They come with the dizzy drive peg.