Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow exhaust gasket

DW

Getting hot air blowing out from where the exhaust outlets meet the engine. Other threads indicate that there will be a gasket here. Is there always a gasket or do some people just use gunk of some form? If I undo the bolts and there is a gasket will I need new gaskets or will the existing gaskets be reusable? Can I just stick some gunk in and re-tighten? What sort of gunk?

David

1700XF - http://groups.msn.com/WilkesCaterhamPages

There are two trains of thought - one is that there should be a gasket in which case the only one that works with the small flanges is available from The Sevens Workshop. Otherwise, on James Whitings suggestion (and that from STeve of Vulcan Engineering) just put some exhaust paste on the facing surface - you may need a wet paintbrush to get it to spread liberally.

As Chris did not have any gaskets when I needed them, I have gone for James' suggestion and it has held together for >1000miles so far. Note that the standard gaskets last about 20-50 miles on the centre branch.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Yes, there should be a gasket.

I used some kind of exhaust sealer years ago to try to seal a leak where the headers meet the engine - didn't work and was a pain to remove.

Assume the leak you have is at one exhaust port and that you have already tightened the bolts without success. If so, there may be some warpage of the manifold. If it's slight and doesn't require any refacing, the the copper gaskets that The 7 Workshop sells should solve your problem. It solved mine and various BlatChat threads indicate happiness with it.

Ken Sailor

• Leadership Team

I agree that there should be a gasket on each manifold branch - mine went several times earlier in the year - however the real culprit is the centre branch flange that warps. Unless it is a flat perfect fit to the head, I would suggest you will always get some sort of leak (although the copper gaskets certainly are the best at limiting it).

I'd recommend you check the flanges for straightness, and then if not perfectly flat, carefully flatten them with a file (large). I found mine was a fraction out but this was enough to blow the gaskets. Once I had flattened the flanges, no problem, even with boggo gaskets.

Never had any problem with standard gaskets from local factors on a reasonably hight powered 1660 X-flow with a chamberlain 4-1 manifold on it - in-fact in 7 years i think I only used 2 sets of manifold gaskets and i have the head off a few times to replace it, revamp the relacment and then to put the exhaust inserts back in after i cooked it and two fell out!

i don' tlike the idea of exhaust paste - if it stays on it will be a pain to clean off properly - maybe he meant the silicon variety?

Bri

Copper exhaust gaskets work so well because they expand at a faster rate then the head and exhaust headers and therefore keep the space between the head and exhaust flanges fully filled. The Normal gaskets supplied from Caterham also work well if fitted correctly (usually last about 5 years) e.g fit the Caterham gaskets with a thin coat of exhaust paste, tighten up as far as possible with the engine cold. Run engine to normal operating temp and then re tighten the exhaust flange bolts while the engine is still hot (thick work gloves are worth using here!) You will find that when hot you can get another turn/turn and a half out of each allen bolt. The standard gaskets should then last many years.