Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fancy a Pilbeam?

olivert

Hi,

I know this isn't strictly the type of vehicle that you are all fans of, but I thought that if someone was looking to move from one high performance car, to an even higher performance car, this might be of interest?

Pilbeam MP58H fitted with 2.8 Hart Engine

Engine rebuilt for this season with new cams, exhaust and DTA P8Pro management system.

Dynoed at 340bhp.

Race Technology 6 channel datalogger

Hewland Gearbox.

Reliable and simple to maintain.

Forgiving and easy to drive.

Currently holds Prescott Ladies Record.

All the right bits to go very fast up hills.

Has got to be the best introduction to unlimited hillclimb single seaters there is. Qualified 2nd for Top 12 runoff at Harewood in July (OK, I admit it, the rain helped!) But still capable of very quick times.

£22,500 or might p/ex.

Pictures available (loads of them!)

Or see it trying to regain the ladies record at Shelsley this weekend (14/15 August).

Contact 01291 673650 any time or 07968 699723

or e-mail me on oliver.tomlin@mira.co.uk

Hmmmm, now that car would be a nice upgrade path from mine...100% power increase but probably only 30-40% more weight and same number of seats *thumbup* I just don't think I'd get it past the rev limiter *thumbdown* - must buy a couple of 'Instants' on the way home, you never know 😬

David,

The Hewland is an FGB (rated to 450bhp). The car is in the region of 500kg, but I cannot give you an exact figure, the setup sheets are at home. Can I ask why you are interested in these figures?

Oliver

I've just bought a 2lt Hart for my 430kg Caterham in place of the BDX but it's a lot of work to get it in. I hardly ever use the Caterham which isn't road registered so another option is to buy a proper racing car. The 2.8lt engines don't show huge increases in power over their 2lt equivalents as the rpm is limited, however the gains in torque are substantial.

Home of HTR700

David,

we got a 25bhp hike in power this winter by fitting DTA management, having a decent set of cams designed and having an exhaust with the correct lengths made. But, that doesn't show the true torque figure, which is stunningly smooth and flat from about 5,500rpm upwards. (I have the dyno plot, but not here). We put a lot of effort in to getting more power without losing driveability and we succeeded. This is why I can frighten the big V8s in the wet. The rev limit is currently 8500rpm, which some might say is a little conservative, but it provides longevity in the engine. Performance wise, first gear is (at its lowest) 72mph, and more typically 80mph. We are regularly under 2 seconds for the first 64ft, such is the traction and low down grunt. God knows what top whack is, but it pulled 121mph over the finish at Shesley this weekend. But outright performance isn't where its strenghts lie, the cornering forces that are created due to the wings and venturis (we're allowed ground effect) are phenomenal.

Oliver