Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil for Twin Cam

Jleclainche

Oilman,

Following the long thread on oil, and your obviously extensive knowledge of the matter...

I am presently using Castrol GTX 20W50 in my Lotus Seven S4 Twin Cam. This is a very recently rebuilt engine (less than 1000 miles), with 10:1 CR, 152 hp (flywheel) at 7200 rpm, baffled wet sump, and the car is used strictly as a "fun" road car.

Any suggestions for a better oil than I am using? From what I read over the past two days, maybe Mobil 1 15W50?

JLC

Jleclainche, with all due respect to you I don't think it's fair to ask Oilman to answer individual queries, especially in view of all the extremely useful information he has posted in the last couple of days. I for one have gained an enormous amount of knowledge from his and othe postings on this thread and I think all of us now have enough info to make an informed choice if we sit down and think it through. Otherwise we risk Oilman spending all his time answering questions like "The bottom end of my engine has done 10,000 miles since a rebuild and I have just done an upgrade to X bhp with throttle bodies, will this need a different oil?"

For what it's worth, I think your choice of Mobil 1 15/50 for your XF is an excellent choice when you have got the running in out of the way. *smile*

Must agree. Built a shhhh ( says quietly)a westfield, some years back, ran many miles on valvoline racing20/50 after maN WHO BUILT IT engine Also twin cam ADVISED ME TO USE IT ,. (sORRY no significane with capitols) 😬

All fixed and ready to roll.