Click here if you are having website access problems ×

To seal or not to seal

John E

Hope to replace my sump this weekend (x flow). Is there a general opinion on using sealant (hylomar) as well as a new gasket set.

My engine is not fitted with the sandwich plate so is access to all of the sump bolts reasonable.

Assuming all faces are clean and undamaged/distorted and you are using a new gasket, I would use a sparing amount of hylomar on one face only, using it to hold the gasket in position during assembly.

A light coating on both faces will not hurt and may give more peace of mind.

Regards

allen

Is it an alloy sump you're fitting ?

If so, then clean out the bolt threads in the block and add a drop of thread-lock to the bolts. It seems to be that, because of the different rates of expansion / contraction, the bolts can gradually work loose resulting in annoying leaks around the gasket. Try to avoid using a cork gasket if you can - Burtons do a "competition" one which is made up of thick gasket paper with a rubber seal - much better for alloy sumps.

John,

Completely agree with Allen, do make sure the face of the sump pan is as straight as possible (check with an Engineer's straight edge). Don't use too much of the sealant gunge and tighten the bolts evenly. Blue Hylomar doesn't set solid, so you can retighten if a small leak occurs. Pay special attention to the seals in the front and rear main caps.

Regards

Phil