Click here if you are having website access problems ×

AP Brake Disc Replacement

Mike Molloy

I noticed I was getting quite a bad vibration through the steering at Silverstone yesterday. We had a look at the wheels for any foreign bodies, but they seemed OK. The MB wheel rims do have quite noticeable "run out" at the rim, but I suspect this is down to the multi-part construction..

With the wheels off I tried rotating the hubs and found that one was binding quite badly. It would rotate freely through 180 degrees and then "stick". I have recently replaced the wheel bearings in this hub, but the only way I can see this effect happening is if the disc is warped. Strangely the "wheel wobble" was under power. Braking felt quite smooth *confused*

The brakes are Caterham/AP 4-pots with vented discs (2000MY).

Are these prone to warping?

Any tips on how to diagnose/rectify?

If the disc is shot, what is the part no. and ballpark price for a replacement?

Thanks,

Mike.

• Support Team

just some thoughts:

Is the wheel bearing seated properly? It is pretty unlikely that your discs have warped (read this for some background). You can check the run out on the discs as it is not impossible for them to warp but it would likely be due to wear or material failure rather than heat. I'd also get the wheel balanced - you might have lost a weight.

All IMHO - I haven't changed a bearing before but in reading the instructions when I was going to do one of mine, it seems you could potentially not get it seated perfectly straight.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Leadership Team

Yes - if you have the disc skimmed the surface will be as a new disc - therefore you must fit new pads to avoid damage to the new surface from a set of worn ones. Don't attempt to rub them down - seek out a machine shop that does break discs.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

There were a number of s/h vented discs advertised a year or so ago - so i decided to check the price of the calipers with Caterham - a pair of calipers is virtually the same price as the uprated brake kit! Caterham's comment at the time was that the kit is therefore exceptional value - I'm sure they make a good profit on the parts in the kit (and I support them in doing so), but it's difficult to justify the outrageous prices of the individual components *thumbdown*

Stu.

Fluke Motorsport advertise a range of lightweight discs: here - might be worth giving them a try?

I guess they must also sell suitable ones for the 4-pot APs, since Fluke also advertise Pagid pads for "Caterham AP upgrade front".