Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrading A 1.6 SS to an R300

YellowSeven

Is it possible to convert a 1.6 Supersport to a 1.8 R300 spec?

If so what is required and what approx cost are you looking at?

Are the cams, ecu etc (supersport kit) utalised? or junked and replaced?

Can the same dry sump be utalised or does this have to be changed?

Any help appreciated *confused*

• Support Team

Uses SuperSport cams.

from the Caterham website, conversion is:

Supersport-R (1.6 & 1.8 std EU2 & EU3 only)

The Caterham R300 engine uses the roller-barrel induction system of the R500 engine to produce 160bhp. Work on the R300 engine has enabled us to carry this back to the standard 1.6 and 1.8 engines. 1.6 capacity units first have to be converted to 1.8, by entirely stripping the engine, replacing the crankshaft complete with bearings, cylinder liners, pistons and con-rods. For all conversions, the head is removed and modified with the compression ratio raised and the inlet ports matched to the roller barrels. The Supersport profile camshafts are used, if not already fitted. Outside the engine, the obvious difference is the roller-barrel induction system. On the standard engine, a single throttle body controls the flow of air into a common plenum chamber from where it is drawn into the engine. The roller-barrels have individual throttles for each combustion chamber, drawing air through inlet ducts designed for maximum performance. The roller-barrel design allows for a completely smooth, uninterrupted airflow into the combustion chamber on wide-open throttle. This system is controlled with a special engine management system (ECU).

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I had this converstion done about 4 months ago, and can recommend it being carried out, this has completely transformed my car, lot of money, but car runs faultlessly (inc low speed)

paid extra for uprated clutch, uprated big ends, and valve retainers, also went for R500 non cat exhust, 13" 8 spoke wheels and cr500 tyres

i went from standard 1.6 (115bhp) to the 160bhp, already got 6 speed box, so a real flyer now LOVE IT!

next stop uprated braked i think, or was that a aero screen?, or carbon wings and arches?... mmmmmm

maybe should have got an R400..... still its only money

vinnie

Just think what that money would buy you at DVA ...

Seems a shed loads of money to get frmo a 1.6SS (135-140bhp) to 160bhp. I know thw torque will be increased, but it's still a loada dosh.

I guess it's personal preference and desire to resell.

I know where my money would go here

Onwards and sideways ...

• Support Team

Caterham do the basic conversion as I listed above at the factory. The cost is somewhere between £3k and £4k depending on whether you already have Supersport Cams and and if you already have 1.8 rather than 1.6.

You can get similar power from DVA for about £2k but without the conversion to 1.8 and using Jenvey DTH throttle bodies rather than the more expensive roller barrels. For the same money as the Supersport R you could get DVA's K05 spec engine with headwork, DTHTB's, cams, Emerald ECU and verniers giving you about 175bhp (1.6) or 185bhp(1.8).

Do a search for the pros and cons of going factory or 3rd party. (Bottom line is it might be harder to sell a DVA powered car especially via Caterham or to a novice owner.)

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I think although Caterham quote 160 bhp for the R300 it is reckoned to be at least 165 bhp if not more with some engines.

Worth remembering you get lots of new bits in your engine when you do the Supersport R upgrade which is especially useful if you have done a few miles.

• Leadership Team

Or get an Emerald and verniers from Dave, and add a set of s/h ex-SLR Tbs and a catch tank. Should cost around £250 on top of what you spend with Dave. Total will be around £1000 for the bits plus setup cots of the Emerald, plus fitment (unless you do it yourself) etc.

Stu.

Should also point out that the claimed outputs for DVA's kits tend to be a tad conservative - my 1600SS with K05 kit produced ~187BHP (~131lbft) on Emerald's rolling road.

DVA also changed the liners, rod bearings, cams, followers etc, so it was essentially a new engine by the end of it.

Cheers,

Lionel

Hi Shaun,

Strictly speaking I didn't buy the kit from DVA, since I'd already acquired some of the bits before approaching Dave so I'm not sure if these are included in the K05 kit. Replacing the liners was an unexpected bit of work, since the existing ones were totally shot - DVA very kindly replaced them for free with a re-honed set of (near-perfect) liners from his collection of spares.

Another reason why I'd give DVA a big *thumbup* - an enthusiast and a genuinely decent bloke. Of course I'm a bit biased seeing as he took pity on me and sorted me out *wink*

Cheers,

Lionel

My car has had the R160 conversion from Caterham, total bill around 4.5k a year ago.

The car is really quick and is certainly more than 160 bhp. *cool* Maybe not a big issue, but if its a factory conversion, you get a warrenty and Caterham will take it in part ex if you wish in the future *thumbup*