Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Newbie re sprints etc in 05

kpm

hi

Im would like to participate in sprints etc in 2005 I dont have a race license and I am a total novice. I brought an ex academy 1.6 vx about 4 months ago which is my first caterham. Can someone give me an idea as to what I need to do what gear I need to have have, how much this will cost and how I would enter. Would I also need to trailer the car ? Any help appreciated

Thanks

K *biggrin*

KPM

There are a number of people with VX ex-Academy and ex- Graduate cars running in Class 1 in the club speed championship. Post any question you may have on this forum and it will be answered 😬

Welcome to the Club *thumbup*

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

KPM - our next event is only a couple of weeks away (29th Aug at Curborough, Staffs). If you're free come along and have a look at what goes on and a chat. Getting started in the club championship is straightforward and you'll get plenty of advice and support from other competitors (if you want it). You don't need a trailer, but it does make life a lot easier (I hire one for the longer journeys). Come and give it a go *thumbup*

Andy Nicholls

C7 AJN

KPM,

Your car, being an ex-race car, should be fine for sprinting. Just don't be tempted to change the tyres for anything (much) better or it'll bump you from class 1 to 3. Bridgestone RE720s (?) seem to be the tyre of choice, but I always just stuch with the GRad-spec CR322s you've probably still got on there.

You'll need a set of overalls and a helmet, the spec of which will be outlined in the Blue Book you get with you licence. Gloves are pretty essential and driving boots are nice to have.

Sprints range from about £50 to £90 entry and, no, you don't really need a trailer.

When you've done a few sprints, come and try racing with Grads...

Edited by - Graeme Smith on 12 Aug 2004 08:57:19

KPM - is that Binfield as in the one in Berkshire....

if so I live near by and would be happy to chat to you about what you need to do etc *thumbup* have a quick look at your car to spot if anythign needs to be done

the club sprints are incredibly friendly and can be a very enjoyable way to use your caterham *thumbup*

rob *smile*

KPM....

my car is ex Grads and has been sprinting for a couple of years now...the only problem it has with being successful is the lack of talent of its owner *eek* *eek* 😳 😳

I drive my car to the events...which sometimes means carrying tent and other gear too...

Come along to Curborough at the end of the month and you will see how much fun the events are and how friendly the competition is..class 1 which your car would be in is always a close run affair and I'm sure you wouldn't be far of the pace even at your first attempt..

I bought my overalls and helmet from Demon Tweeks I can't remember exact cost but I am "budget man" so it wasn't a lot in fact Helmet was a Birthday present...although I would suggest you should buy a helmet from somewhere you can try before you buy..so you're sure it fits comfy...

The Nat B liscense runs from jan to jan and costs £35 I think, you dont use much fuel on the day but overall fuel depends on travel to and from (obviously!!)...tyre wear is NO problem particularly with the CR 322's on..I have RE 720's now (I treated myself to a second set with wheels from for sale on blatchat) which I do think are alround better and seem to be hard wearing too.....

If you have any problems on the day there are numerous 7 experts on hand who are amazingly willing to help, offer a hand,advise, lend tools........etc...etc...

Go for it....a Seven can only be experienced at its best on the track.....

Gordy

Licences are Jan to Jan so don't be tempted to buy one yet or you'll be forking out another £30 in a couple of months time. Wait until the 2005 forms are out in mid December.

If you want to peruse the Blue Book before that then the best bet is to borrow one from someone competing this year.

In truth the blue book is very daunting and potentially off-putting for novices so probably better to use the check list in Kompetitors Korner. There are only a couple of blue book pages that are useful to you at this stage, helmet regs for one perhaps. Even the technical regs are more likely to confuse than help, L something says you need a method of switching off all electrics including fuel pumps. This would imply you need an FIA red switch wiring in, loads of wiring changes, hole in the scuttle, £50 of bits. But it doesn't mention that the ignition key will do the job on 99% of cars.....

In practice you'll need helmet, overalls, a beam splitter (as little as a bit of black cardboard in some cases) and a standard road car to compete on most sprints, adding an FIA bar to compete on L7OC club sprints. It really is that easy.

KPM

As Rob has said if you are in Binfield, Berkshire I am happy to give you a novice view as this is my 1st year of sprinting. You could come to a club meeting 1st tuesday of the month just outside Abingdon The Wagon and Horses at culham on the a415 abingdon - dorchester road..

E-mail before going to check I will be there.

David

I haven't got much more to add to whats already ben said *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

The best bet as Andy suggested is to come to one of our events and have a chat with a few competitors, we were all novices once and you should not be afraid to ask questions.

I will be at Curborough, daerk grey car with Projecx logo on the rear panel (probably have a bacon butty in my hand 😬 😬 😬)

As an aside we are looking at running a novices championship next year for those people in their first year of sprinting leading towards an overall novices cup at the end of the year *thumbup* *thumbup*

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2004 Speed Championship - 9 events *cool*

Class 1 could do with another competitor *thumbup* I think there are not many other places other than class 1 and grads racing where a 1600vx can be technically competitive in motorsport?!

A trailer isnt essential, but me+dad have been thankful to have had it on a couple of events.(Due to re-occurring alternator pulley probs) Go for it!

(Gordon- new springs fitted 😬)

What the others have forgotten to say is that Class 1 is by far the best class *thumbup* you always have an excuse if you don't set a good time e.g. "it's only got 100bhp ☹️" or if you say beat your dad who has 135bhp, wide track front suspension, sports exhaust, lsd .... you can comment that "it's only got 100bhp 😬 *tongue* 😳"

On a serious note, if the car is ex-academy then it may only need a head restraint (a new regulation) and a timing strut to be able to enter.

I'll be in class 1 at Curborough if you come along, you will spot my car it is held together with duck tape and is normally covered in grass 😳

Rob

Ford: Engineered for life - built to rust!!

Matt....I haven't done a thing to my car other than ring its neck at Snetterton a few weeks ago 😬 😬 😬 😬.....

see you at Curborough.....and I will reap my revenge for MIRA 😬 😬

KipperJ....mines got 100.6 bhp...according to Emeralds rolling road....ner, ner ,ner,ner,neeer

Gordy

Darren, I may be wrong but I think the novice championship would more likely involve you competing in normal classes, but your points counting towards a novice championship as well as the normal one?? (Sorry BB if that was a well-off guess!)

Gordon- I thought at MIRA you were reaping revenge for Curborough 😬 😬 😬

Kipper Jnr- Class 1 is good because it is probably the class with the most technically similar cars, focusing more on ability than wallet! (p.s. I saw your car at the Harpenden show, as well as Lord+Lady Kipper!)

Rob,

I read BB's post as though the Novice Championship, would be anyone NEW to sprinting, and NOT a NOVICE novice. *wink*

If the way i read it is correct, i WILL have a working car to drive....... YOURS 😬 *tongue*

Daren. 😬