Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

3rd gear synchro

charlie_pank

I think that the synchro's going in 3rd because if I do a quick redline in 2nd -> 3rd upshift then I get a nasty crunch. If I change it slowly: 2nd --> --> 3rd then it's fine. I guess ultimately I would hardly gain anything even if the synchro did its job and I could just do a quick shift, so maybe I just need to drive with more mechanical sympathy (I do try to anyway).

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: There is no plan

S5EVN

Is it a quaife box?

Mine does this, I'd heard it was a weakness with the quaife, in that it doesent like changing gear above 7000rpm.

Could be bollocks, but mine has got no worse over 4 years, so I've let it be, I can drive round it without it impeding progess much.

Mine did this and I've just had the box rebuilt so will find out (when it stops bl**dy raining) if it's improved or just a charatcteristic!Tomorrow at Silverstone will be the ultimate test I guess...

Not to scare you but the synchro rings that came out of my gearbox show some pretty healthy cracks so ultimately I'm pleased they aren't in there any more *tongue*

All rebuilt for £175 though so not toooo bad I guess, that was £100 labour, new seal, selector pin and 3 sycnhro rings, oh and a weekend at either end of the rebuild spent swearing/sweating removing and installing!