Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil leak - K series

Goslima1

I have a small but annoying oil leak from my K series - the car is only a few weeks old and has covered around 1000 miles (R300, wet sump, apollo). The oil loss is quite small, congregates on my garage floor under the front left of the engine below the alternator (dribbling down loom). There is oil visible on the top of the cam carrier above the head also. Car went back to CC last week as cam shaft oil seal suspected and this was replaced - I was told that there was oil in the pulley recess on camshaft at front of engine when it was taken to bits. However the leak is still there ☹️. Car is going back to Dartford on Saturday for round 2, along with 2nd try at curing leaking speedo drive !

Can anybody offer any suggestions as to what is causing this leak other than the camshaft seal ?????

Martin

I thought I had a cam seal leak ... clean the engine and run it until the oil leak is first seen was the advise I got.

Anyway, my leak seems to have almost stopped apart from a very small leak from the cam ladder seal. I think my leak might be related to the amount of oil in the dry sump system - eg if I over fill it that may enhance the leak, but thats the next test for me.

Good hunting ...

Check: Oil filter, sandwich plate, Apollo hoses, oil pressure sender.

The only answer to the speedo drive leak is to remove the drive & cap the outlet (Ford kit avaliable). Then rig up your electric speedo to sense from the front wheel.