Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting Carbon rear guards

rynicolson

I am about to fit my rear wing guards (SL Carbon)I've noticed most cars fitted with these vastly overpriced bits are riveted in trad manner, but as the carbon is one hundreth thick, the rivet creases the carbon... has anyone fitted them by another means, i.e. mastic, glue, epoxy, paper mache, and had any success (with the wings fitted)? I plan to use bodywork compound (in black) and remove the overflow from the rivet holes with a blade.... or what about some good old Blue peter double sided sticky tape?

Tricks

Y57 CDS "Mutley"

Wow, you mean they fit?? I'm amazed. I fitted my drivers side one two weeks ago but when I came to do the passenger side one it didn't fit, the bottom was cut at the wrong angle (the angle same as the drivers side)so it didn't line up. I trimmed the end to the correct angle but then the whole thing was far too short!!! I've sent it back (apparently they should have been recalled - mine weren't) but now I have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for the replacement. I'll probably go thru SVA with just one fitted!!

Anyway, back to your question, just rivet them without the rubber strip behind, looks a bit better. Don't bond them permanently on as they shatter quite easily when hit by larger stones flipped up from the front. Some people use sticky back stair friction material which is much better at actually protecting the wing although the jury is still out on the aesthetics.