Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Zetec Porting

philwaters

All very usable power although the change when it came on cam at around 3000 rpm was quite noticeable. You didn't need to rev the nuts off it but it did sound good in the higher rev band 😬

On TB's, the engine just never misbehaved whatever the temperature or conditions and is/was a joy to drive.

James Whiting primaries with Hayward & Scott silencer.

Brent

Now without my Zetec ☹️ 209

Gone but not forgotten

G

My 1800 Zetec had 33/29 valves with mild 260 degree cam. Made 187 bhp. Car was mainly for road use. Ultimate bhp was not my goal. Recently a 2 litr I built (on carbs) made 203 bhp with a 6,200 rev limit which is what the ECU was supplied with. With the intended 7,500 rev it should see around 210 bhp. Throttle bodies and bigger valves would probably bump this up to 220 bhp. larger valve head is probably worth around 5bhp at the top end. I'm being conservative, possibly more. Very much dependant on the setup, induction, exhaust, cam timing etc. I would use Kent cams FZ2002.

Very good results can be had with the stock valves. Bigger valves are nice to have if you want to squeeze a bit more out but not essential. They do have a better shape and are made of higher quality material. If your original valves and seats are knackered fitting bigger valves makes sense.

AMMO

If you were to drop a car off and ask for lots of headwork (2.0 litre Mondeo engine) keeping the std valvetrain how much would headporting / removal/refitting cost? In the region of? Purely out of medium term interest

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec TB's. Got my cams, bugger it's quick