Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6 speed box

G. brown

can anyone give advice:

I have a 1700 ss with a four speed box.

I have thought about using the 6 speed box.

will it fit?

do i need to change anything else? prop shaft bellhousing etc

will it make much difference?

can you buy recon boxes.

thanks in advance.

Gary teeth.gif

If you can fit the 5-speed box then you can fit the 6-speed box (the envelope is the same).

ISTR that replacing a 4-speed with a 5-speed involves a chassis mod (the rear mount is in a different place), and quite possibly a different propshaft?

You'd need to ensure that the 6-speed box had the right input shaft (some have Rover-compatible shafts, some have Ford-compatible).

Mike

Bafty - this doesn't completely answer your question but hopefully might give some help:

CCC magazine fitted a 6-speed box and 120bhp 1800cc engine conversion to a Caterham Classic (originally 5-speed, 100bhp Vx 1600cc). ISTR that in the article about it they said that they reckoned the 6-speed had more of an effect on speed on track than the engine conversion. The total conversion was rather silly (cannot remember the total cost but must have been over £3k at retail from Caterham) but CCC said it was a big improvement.

Their comments were slightly surprising (ie more favourtable about the 6-speed than I expected) as (1) comments about the 6-speed are strong recommendation for k-series, because of that engine's need of/like to rev (2) I know from experience that there is no point revving the Vx 1600 8v beyond 5000rpm (better acceleration changing up to higher gear) but (3) don't know if 1800cc conversion makes the Vx engine more "revvy" - I wouldn't have thought it was very likely.

In my more irrational moments I wonder what my 1600 8v car would be like with a recon 6-speed...