Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel affecting oil temperature

Mole

I've noticed that on the rare occasions when I fill up with normal unleaded that the oil temperature (=engine temperature?) seems to be a few degree higher than when running on Optimax. Is there any explanation for this?

SV 52 CAT - moles fly - here

Hmm, well, my advice is don't try to search using a phrase based on 'pinking' - look for 'knock' instead.

It's the only thing I can think of - assuming that your test conditions are comparable. Variations in air temp can make a big difference to the OT too - on my run up to Scottingland last w/e - starting in warm weather and arriving in the cool evening, the OT dropped quite a few degrees (well, single digits) as the air got cooler even though my pace was pretty much stable.

Then again, I did fill up with a variety of fuels on the way *wink*

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I can't put it down to driving conditions or enthusiastic driving - pushing hard on a warm day (e.g. today) I get lower oil temp with optimax than driving more "sedately" in the cool of the evening with normal unleaded. I'm not aware of the engine pinking - it knocks slightly between 1500 and 2000 rpm with either type of fuel - I don't go there very often and of course it's hard to hear over 40 mph ! 😬

SV 52 CAT - moles fly - here