Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Water in catch tank

Red Ticker

Should the catch tank contain fairly clean engine oil. I have just emptied mine for the frist time and it is a dirty mixture of water (75%) and oil. Is this normal?

This is on an R-reg Superlight R with 10,000 miles. I have had it about 6 weeks.

Martin

Red Ticker - R68TKR

Martin ,

Before you jump to a rash conclusions , empty out and clean the catch tank ( Rice and white spirit ) , then go for a good drive .

The oil / water mix may be due to rain water or washing your car !! .

Check the condition of the oil on the dipstick , in the belltank also check for any creaming inside the filler cap and any contaminant in the top expansion tank .

Dave

It's pretty normal to have a sludgy mixture in the bottom there. When the engine is warming up you'll get a mixture of oil & water vapour being blown into the tank. Over a period of time this results in a sludgy oil/water mix. Dave's advice is good, although I've looked from 1 all the way to 120 and I can't find "special Mobil 1 fried rice" anywhere on the menu here.

Mike

Dear Mr. Bees,

Mobil 1 is plentiful here in Singapore, but in the Indian district Ghee is far cheaper. Similar to Castrol R in its post-combustion aroma, but with more of a whiff of biryani than pure vegetable oil.

My question to you is: how can I get the solid pat of Ghee into the rocker-cover oil filler without ending up with half of it dripping down the outside of the block? As well as mind-numbingly high cholesterol levels on the waxed paper packet, it quotes a not unreasonable 0W-40 viscosity rating if changed regularly (3,000 miles or 12,000 popodoms) and then used as first intended in Curry-based cuisine. From personal experience I can tell you that this clearly explains the taste of some local eating establishment's fare....

Perplexed of Singapore

Dear Mr Broome,

Your lubrication insertion problem can be addressed by purchasing lubricant from an appropriate vendor. Although I have not experienced the delights of Singapore first hand, I fully expect that your city has within it's bounds a plentiful array of purveyors of 'pleisure' products. From these imaginitive and enterprising suppliers you will be able to by your favourite vegetable-based lubricity-enhancer in cylindrical form, ready for instant and painless insertion into any circular-shaped receptacle of adequate diameter.

Your slipperily,

Mike

Dear Mr. Bees,

"ox·y·mo·ron":

n. pl. ox·y·mo·ra (-môr, -mr) or ox·y·mo·rons

A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in 'a deafening silence' and 'a mournful optimist' and 'Delights of Singapore'.

smile.gif

Pierson