Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine mount shimming

Asspec

As my car in basically set up for trackwork and I'm happy with the setup, except for grounding the sump. Would it not be possible to shim under the engine mounts raising them 10mm which would then give me 65mm ground clearance under the sump, instead of the 55mm I have now. The car is an R500

Thanks

Mike

Learning all about my car

Yes, in theory not a problem, subject to enough of the bolt thread still engaging in the mount, enough underbonnet clearance and enough room on the side skin exhaust hole.

Quite common for the odd washer to be added to line things up. 10 mil may be a tad ambitious. 😬

Thanks Allen,

I know 10mm is ambitious but even if 5mm shims were able to be fitted it must be easier than altering the ride height and castor angles etc, or is altering the suspenion ride height the way to go.

If adjusting the ride height is the best does anybody here know of anywhere in the Northwest or North Wales that does flat floor setup

Learning all about my car

Yep, if car is set up as you like it (flat floored?), then raising the engine by putting washeres between the engine mount bracket and the rubberised mount itself, should just give more sump clearance without changing suspension settings. - and just raising the engine, not the whole front of the chassis, rad, engine, nosecone, bonnet, etc, etc, means less mass raised and less change to centre of gravity.

This mod wes done in the middle of the night to a wet sump caterham during the Nurburgring 24 hour race a few years ago - the fins were wearing out. Drivers did not report any change in handling. 😬 Lap times did not apreciably change. *thumbup*

• Area Representative

I guess it's trial and error with the clearance under the bonnet and the clearance around the exhaust being the issues to keep a check on.

You have 2 choices of shimming:-

1. Using 1/2 inch washers between metal engine mount and rubber mount (you would have to make sure that the 1/2 inch bolt is still long enough to go into rubber mount).

2. You can raise the rubber mount itself by drilling 2 holes in a piece(s) of flat bar and sandwiching between chassis and rubber mount - again make sure bolts are long enough and fully engage in nylocks. Suggest you could use some flat alluminium bar for this and I'm sure a suitable length is available at B & Q Warehouse.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional