Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

lambda sensor

jackb_ms

i'm informed that the honda wideband o2 sensor is the one to go for, but i'd love to have a part number. might have to put in my suitcase coming back from the US later this year.... *thumbup* 😬

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 Lighten up everybody....NOW

USA 2005: How the West Was Driven

jack, I assume you just want the "standard" lambda sensor, ie not a wideband for tuning.

If thats the case, I think you be alright with any-old k-series lambda sensor but do check that:

- the number of wires on it - you'll need a 4-wire sensor, aka heated. Only very early types had one/two wires.

- the right thread (think theyre all the same)

- the right connector (or you can always solder in your own design of connectors)

Ive only had two k-series engines (1800 EU2 & EU3). The only difference was the connector type.

Jack,

I was at Emerald yesterday and apparently the VVC stuff it ready to go, Dave reckoned that there were some pretty good gains in torque to be had and a real gain in fuel consumption. I also asked Dave about throttles on the VVC engine and although they had not tested it yet, he was doubful that there would be any significant gains there.

Andy

Steve,

Not sure, Bill Shurvinton is your man for the wideband stuff (pop a mail off to the se7ens list). I though that most lambda probes had the same fitting but I think that the Emerald needs a box to run it.

If you happen across a couple of the 'right sort' I'd be interested though !.

Andy

Jack,

You don't need a wideband (or any Lambda sensor at all) to run with an Emerald unless you plan to do some mapping yourself.

I believe that Dave did have curves but it was for a an engine with non-standard exhaust manifold and 'high performance' filter ... so the gains could have been from that combination. Maybe this is similar to what the 21's have ?

Give him a shout, he's a really approachable chap.

Andy

Hi Nifty,

Yep, got on really well. Had to knock back the cam timing on both cams by 20thou to start with ... but the good news is that Dave measured the lift at TDC and it was exactly what I though I'd set it to. So, although the timing was wrong, my practice was spot on !

Got it strapped down and we were away, except for the hot starter (click) problem, which is really odd because I've never had it before.

Anyway, managed good power, which Dave reckons was restricted a little by poor manifold design, so maybe that's on the shopping list for next year. Car drives like a normal car again now, really smooth and the fuel economy is amazing ... although that's not what I should be saying !

The noise is simply amazing, it all seems to set alight at 5000rpm, there is a rush of acceleration and a real induction howl. I was going to give you a call and maybe take up your offer of crashing on the lounge floor but I read about your recent problems with the sump and thought I'd better not.

Back in one peice and the engine is still alive !

Cheers

Andy

ps, Jack, sorry for the highjack !