Click here if you are having website access problems ×

tillet seats

bikerush

Of course if you're a penny pinching weasel (like me) with a rather odd body shape (like me) and, for instance, like a driving position which is normally only achieved with the assistance of a dentist's chair (like me) then you can always make your own -

http://djb321.my-bulldog.com/pages/djb321_my-bulldog_com/seat.htm

It's only a wet layup because the mould's polyester resin and so won't survive the prepreg oven and at the moment my homebrew prepreg oven isn't large enough. The seat in the picture is going in the racer - I'll be making 2 more for the Furybird as that one's got some pinholes in the top layer of resin (I didn't vac bag it after laying it up which in hindsight was a mistake).

That seat, trimmed to shape, weighs around 3kg and is plenty stiff. It's made of 2 layers of 6k 2x2 twill and 2 layers of 12k 2x2 twill. It's incredibly comfy for me, but then it would be...

The only downsides are that it takes ferkin ages to do, it's incredibly messy making the mould and if you're daft enough to think the pre-preg is the be all and end all then, well, tough. *wink*

Dan

The Activa seat exists only as theshell component as of today, the tooling is being made currently for the base and rear sections. These will also be of carbon fibre. Because the seat is of pre-preg construction and the material thickness of the panels is only 1mm, the seat is very very light. I haven't weighed one, but expect a weight in the region of 1 - 1.5 kgs.

Mike, YHM

look at site below for low back tillets which will tip back at any angle you need.

I've used threaded rod for the front anchor so the seat angle can be adjusted up/down to suit.

Silly problem occurs. The more the seat is raked the further your hand is away from the gear lever. I bent it backwards. Problem solved.

look here for a picture or follow link below then SEVEN - CARBON UPGRADE

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

edited to say in the picture you can see how the seats are set to different angles.

Edited by - nverona on 11 Dec 2004 09:45:51

• Area Representative

Tillets vs S-types.

I replaced the S-type seat on the driver's side having worn it out. I found the S-type great until the back gave up. Flimsy construction within the steel frame.

I do like the tillet, but with the very flat base you do sit differently and I can see that many would feel that there is no thigh support (s-types are very good here). I find that I now always use the crotch strap whereas I previously generally did not. Having your thigh more horizontal will suit some and not others - it does affect left leg more than right.

When I got soaked in cold rain at the start of a trip recently I found that my @rse remained wet (and thus cold) for the next hour and a half - felt like I was sitting in a puddle. The s-type's foam would have absorbed this mostly and would have been more comfy. (Everything from waist up dried out). But the s-type would have remained wet for a day, whereas you can dry the tillet out.

On balance: probably the tillet, I like the look, I trust it offers more protection, you never get in to find the squab is wet (even if it is cold)