Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What's involved in doing a leak down test?

shn7

Take the plugs out. Put the cylinder to be tested on TDC to ensure the valves are closed, doesn't need to be exact, don't need a dial gauge on the piston just somewhere close. Then put the air line onto the leak tester set the regulator to give 100% leak down with the tester not connected to the engine. Then connect the tester to the plug hole to be tested, usually theres a screw in pipe with a plug thread on the end and a quick release fitting to attach the tester on the other end. Then read off the %age leak down.

The reading is a percentage, presumably the %age of air that isn't being retained by the piston rings valves etc.

With the tester I usually borrow a reading in mid single figures is good, ie 5% is OK, a reading of over 10% is indicative of a problem. But as with a compression test it's the cylinder to cylinder comparisons which are most likely to indicate a problem, ie 4, 6, 15, 5 for a problem with rings on no 3 or perhaps 4, 16, 18, 6 for a headgasket problem between 2 and 3 cylinders.

'Cos the suggestion from CC about the reason for a cranshaft oil seal failure (resulting from excess crankcse pressure) is a broken piston *mad*. So before taking the engine out and replacing the seal (assuming I'm right about it having failed) I want to do any tests necessary to check for a reason for the failure.

Steve.

Agreed and if a problem is confirmed I shall be speaking to CC about it. If no problem is found then I don't mind doing the seal myself as it sounds straightforward enough. But I'm not getting involved in fixing the internals. As to tests, not yet, but hoping to borrow a comp. tester soon.

Steve.

Edited by - Steve Newman on 3 Aug 2004 06:43:35

Never having used a leakdown tester and not wishing to buy one (but interested in its design/use)Could a reading be taken with just 2 regular pressure gauges ?

If I set the output of my compressor to say 100 psi and then connected it to a cylinder from which another gauge exited (through the adaptor) then if I get 100 psi on the second gauge I have no leakdown, if I get 50 psi I have 50% etc.

Have I just described a leakdown tester ?