Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stack low battery

VC

My Stack is telling me that it has a low internal battery. All very handy being as that's all it will tell me now (other than rpm)! Anyone else had this problem? Anyone know where the battery goes/type, etc?

I owned a STACK dash for about 5 years and had no idea it had an internal battery. Are you sure it's not a low volts alarm for the car? The stack monitors voltage and has the facility to generate an alarm when it drops below a preset level. This level can be changed using the 4 buttons but I forget the sequence. Mine was set to 12.5V and occasionally triggered during starting if the car had been standing for a few days between starting.

If there is an internal battery then failure must be rare as this is the first I have heard about it. I guess it's there to retain the memory, for calibration settings, odometer reading, logging memory or whatever when the car is switched off. I'm still surprised though as I thought these sort of things were held in some kind of non-volatile memory that didn't need voltage.

I'd speak to Stack directly, their sales people are helpful and they'll route technical questions to their engineering people who will always ring back with a response, try them on 01869 240404.

• 4 months later...
Just to close this out. The Stacks do have an internal battery. They are expected to last five years and are soldered in. Mine lasted less than two years. Stack will replace them for £50. They insist on doing this as the Stack module holds the mileage of the vehicle.