Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Strange noise - R300

Ben Long

When driving my R300, I appear to have a strange 'clonking/donking' noise coming from the rear suspension / drive shaft area. This mainly occurs when it is only me in the car, and seems to disappear when there is a passenger with me. It occurs when driving over speed bumps and general road bumps/pot holes and also appears to be more pronounced when driving round a L/H bend.

I have checked some of the suspension bolts but need to get it on a ramp sometime this week to check it more thoroughly.

Has anybody else come across this before, or have any suggestions as to what the cause may be?

Please post a reply / email *thumbup*

Cheers,

Ben

ben.long@vodafone.net

• 1 month later...

Found the noise at long last *thumbup*

After going over the rear suspension, moving the gearbox across slightly and checking every conceivable bolt I could think of, it would appear that the cause of the knocking noise was the exhaust making contact with the chassis, just before it leaves the engine bay 😳

The pipe in question is the one closest to the gearbox and I have yet to think of a way of lifting this pipe so that it doesn't come into contact. Just off outside to have a look.

Would recommend others with similar symptoms to check this out.

Thanks for the advice though chaps. Could have been anything.

You might find a bit of mileage by relaxing the primary-to-head bolts and also those that hold the collector together - then persuade the can/exhaust into a slightly better position and retighten.

There is a certain amount of leeway in the whole system.

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com