Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MegaJolt 3D Mappable Ignition Update

NickW

Pottered around today, trying to do some mapping. The TPS doesn't show much throttle openning at steady speeds, so I've no idea how to map the open throttle positions. I also think the Megajolt really needs interpolation between sites.

SEP field working, not spotted in 102,900 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 21 Sept

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oliver

I think that the Megajolt would be better with interpolation, that way it would be almost step less in its operation. However my experience has been very positive using the system with a big improvement in driveability and fuel consumption.

I have used an RS components TPS and calibrated this in the software. I took a reading on the run time display with the TPS closed and another with it fully open. I then input figures into the TPS column at equal intervals in between. This seemed to work fine for me. I went out in the car with the lap top on a friends lap and watched the way the advance behaved in relation to RPM and throttle inputs, it all seemed very logical with the variables behaving as you would have expected.

If you want to have a chat I have mailed you my number…

I am now planning another installation on my three cylinder Laverda motorcycle which has a very crude electronic advance (read that it has one step that comes in at 2500 RPM when it jumps to full advance !!)

Mapping is more of a paradigm than anything else. I wish I had the time to write something up, but am completely buried by everything going on at the moment.

At steady speed I would expect the throttle to be nearly closed as you are not using much fuel and are probably not even on the main circuit.

Bill

Short answer: Yes.

Slightly clearer answer: Both.

Long answer: Cloaca: The cavity into which both the intestinal and genitourinary tracts empty in reptiles, birds, amphibians and many fishes. In some invertebrates, a similar cavity serves for excretory, respiratory and reproductive ducts.

So I may be able to talk out of it as well *eek*

Protecting you from grammatical errors and spelling mistakes

A paradigm is a way of looking at the world. A Paradigm shift is moving from one way of looking at the world (newtonian mechanics) to another way of looking at the world (quantum mechanics). Not better necessarily, just different.

So Mr. Pedant, I reckon that I am using the term 'paradigm' correctly in that phrase as it was first used in print (see reference to newtonian vs quantum above). You have to approach ignition mapping from the right direction for it to make sense. Hence paradigm.

Progress, as a result of today's session the mapped system now feels better than the old distributor *thumbup* The adjustment buttons are quite difficult to hit when you're being driven around though.

SEP field working, not spotted in 103,000 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 21 Sept