Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MegaJolt 3D Mappable Ignition Update

NickW

I have also been busy getting the car ready for installing a MJ system. I have acquired the coil, EDIS module and TPS. I have made up a mounting bracket and fitted the 36 tooth wheel behind the pulley. The wheel came from a Ford Sierra (K reg I think and with a bit of machining was easy to fit) The throttle position sensor is on its way from RS components (£16) so all I need now is the Mega Jolt ECU.

Any delivery date yet Bill?

You can see the installation at

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/jtccc

Or click here

Tony

Edited by - Tony L on 11 Sep 2004 11:39:22

Edited by - Tony L on 14 Sep 2004 19:44:20

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been some unfortunate delays in getting the cases machined. But I have all the parts here now and will start casing tommorrow as soon as I have finished doing a rush megasquirt for a magazine article.

I can only apologise for this but Guy (who has been helping me) and I have been way more busy with our day jobs recently than either of us had anticipated.

Bill

Today I went out to buy some HT plug leads to go with my coil pack. The usual suspects were stumped when I couldn't provide the model and year of car. Eventually I found someone who recognized the coil pack as being a pre 93 Mondeo fitting, and found a plug lead set to suit. It's a Bosch B860. I think it's easier to get leads for the later coil packs as they use standard connectors.

SEP field working, not spotted in 102,400 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 10 June

I have fitted the throttle position sensor (brought from RS components part no. 319-310 £17) to my Webers today and also mounted the coil pack and made up the plug leads.

Click here to see the installation so far.

All I need now is the ECU

Any date yet Bill?

Tony

Edited by - Tony L on 14 Sep 2004 19:51:37

Good news Bill! I am ready to start to wire up the unit as the throttle position sensor and crank position sensor are now in place on the car.

Click here for a few more pictures of the installation.

A few people have asked why I have the D shaped washer between the adaptor and the carb spindle. This is so that I can hold the washer with a spanner to get the spindle adaptor nice and tight without twisting the throttle spindle in the carb.

Tony

Edited by - Tony L on 20 Sep 2004 10:49:09

I've finally fixed the noise on the PIP signal and wired in the TPS. I put in a new conditioning circuit with a proper threshold and hysteresis (follow link in sig if interested). Mapping starts tomorrrow.

SEP field working, not spotted in 102,700 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 21 Sept

Cool,

wasn't aware of a noise issue. Must stop sniffing solder fumes and pay attention :-) I'll give you a call some time to discuss whether I should put this mod on all boards I am currently working on, just in case.

Bill

P.S. The circuit shows your age. Anyone under 30 would have just stuck a 78LS shottky of some variety in there as they don't understand controlling component count :-)

Oliver,

Do see the RPM move around in the Runtime Display simiar to the guy that posted on the Megajolt forum?

I don't get this problem. My tickover is rock steady. (well normally within 50rpm or so).

Can't offer any suggestions that haven't already been done, sorry.

I'll try and scope the PIP signal if I every get any time to get in the garage. (Hence no updates on the state of play with Guinee Pig 1. I know feeble excuse)

Let me know if you want me to try anything else.

Nick.

Hello All,

I'm testing a version of the firmware that may reject the noise you're seeing. As I understand it, the processor that the MJLJ is using has built in hysteresis protection on the line that's reading the PIP signal. It may be a matter of configuring it in the firmware correctly.

If anyone is experiencing this problem I'd be interested in having them test this new firmware.

Thank you!

Brent Picasso

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would give a quick update on the installation of the Megajolt to my Crossflow. I have been out in the car today after fitting the ignition over the weekend. All I can say is BLOODY HELL – what a difference!

I have done about 20 mile in the car and the difference to the drivability is amazing! The car pulls much better, feels crisper and the power comes in much more controllably. I hope to get a few more miles to the gallon!

As I still have the distributor on there I was able to do a “back to Back” test. It was simply a matter of re-connecting the plug leads and a couple of wires. There really is a tremendous difference!

I am running a relatively safe map at the moment and will be booking the car in for a Rolling Road session soon, just to check its all OK

Thanks to Bill and Nick for helping me out on this…

I have made a few notes on my web site if anyone is interested, have a look here to take you to the site or try

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/jtccc

Tony

I've had no time to look at it for over a week ☹️ Yes, my real-time display jumps around like the guy on the forum. It doesn't do it idle any more, just at a steady 1800 rpm cruise, which makes probing it with a scope a bunch more challenging. I might just have to risk gassing myself in the garage this weekend.

SEP field working, not spotted in 102,700 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 21 Sept

• 3 weeks later...