Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Making a crossflow "trackable"

MonkeyBoy

Hi all,

I've had my car now for a couple of years, it is a 1995 1700 SS, standard setup, flares, live axle, rear exit exhaust, currently running Michelins (185/70/13 i think). I'ts only been driven on the road so far but i want to do the odd track day, so i'm trying to work out what i need to do to make the car acceptable for the track. Here's my thoughts so far...

I'm getting the noise level of the exhaust tested hopefully this weekend, this will dictate if i need to get one of those exhaust mufflers, a new repackable exhaust (cost *thumbdown*), or if i'm ok as is (which would be good *thumbup*)

I'm thinking of replacing the standard Michelins with yoko 021's and it looks like George Polley motorsport does the right size. From what i've read these are good for a live axle car that spends the majority of it's life on the road with the odd track day

I don't know if it's a requirement for most tracks, but i was thinking of getting a catch tank to put the oil breather pipe into, i think you can get these from Caterham directly

I have an engine cut out already, the car has a standard roll bar but not planning on upgrading to an FIA bar just yet. I'm running the standard brakes that came with it.

Is there anything else i need to consider just to get me on to the track 🤔 🤔

Any advice much appreciated *thumbup*

Alistair

Don't know if a catch tank is a requirement, but for a crossflow you really do need one on track. A 20 minute session used to fill mine about a third each time.

13" Yoko 021's on 185/70 profile are a cheap(ish) and very effective upgrade.

My 1992 1700SS was reading about 101db, which is OK for many circuits, but costs do come down if you can get below the 98db for quiet days.

Aside from the club FIA bar issue, there is nothing really that you HAVE to do. I did get picked up by my one and only scrutineer in 5 years - harness bolts not long enough ! Let me on the track though.

Of crouse the list of things you might LIKE to do is huge 😬 And as greg says, the slope is indeed slippery *wink*

I think you are on the right track, my list would be

1. get the exaust noise tested so your,e sure its ok.

2. put a full harness in.

3. change brake pads to fast road spec pads.

4. fit oil catch tank & bring plenty of oil.

then go out and play, forget spending any money until you find out if you enjoy track driving, and or you are using what you have got to its full potential.and on the negative side the money you save on tyres you can spend on repairs should be unfortunate to have any, you may need the money to replace your pistons as the standard caterham 1700 pistons don,t have a good reputation.

good luck and have a good time!

I'd think twice about too sticky tyres if you haven't got a dry sump system . . . . . long race track bends will not be kind to a sticky tyred, wet sump Caterham. Sh1te tyres are a lot of fun as well.

Also, if something does go wrong and you go off with low grip tyres, you'll be going slower so if you hit something, you'll do less damage. Flip side is that you'll slow down faster (on tarmac) if you spin on sticky rubber so may not hit anything after all. . . . . now that hasn't helped much has it 😳. Food for thought though.

After a hi-vis (pocketted side) driver's door if anyone's got one? *thumbup*

• Support Team

Good point about harnesses - without them you'll have a hard time controlling the car as you'll be moving around in the seat too much.

Also seriously consider the FIA bar as the standard Caterham bar isn't going to help much in the (admittedly unlikely) event of a roll over.

A021Rs would be a good choice although they will tend to overheat on a warm, dry track. Great road tyres and good in the wet.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Simply as a precautionary warning...

Do you have a mechanical fuel pump on the x/f or (probably more ususal for your year of car) an electric one? If you're running a mechanical one (i.e. driven off the engine itself), be careful that you don't starve the engine of fuel on fast right hand corners and damage the top end by running too lean.

I think most electrical pumps (Facets, Webcons, etc.) are OK and will handle optimum fuel flow on track, especially with a pressure regulator.

You might just want to check.

Cheers,

Pierson

Can't believe that no-one has mentioned...OVERFILL YOUR DIFF!!!!! You will kill it with sticky tyres on hard cornering. I would put about an extra litre in through the breather hole the day before (this will give the oil plenty of time to run under the baffle into the main part of the diff.

Hi MonkeyBoy,

You do know that other people run track/setup days ? I was at Bruntingthorpe last Sunday, my first ever trackday in my Fury...... Bruntingthorpe is not a "real" track but excellently wide, mix of concrete and tarmac, a well thought out fast circuit too !!!

Excellent, well organised, free instruction in your own car, very safe and sensible (but FIA roll bars were not necessary). A good mix of cars too, Caterhams, Westies, Furys, Strikers, Phoenix's, even an old Dutton and a very quick Honda VTEC Civic Type R....

If you want the organisers details drop me an email.

Riggsbie

Definitely agree with not too sticky tyres without a dry sump - saw my 1995 1700SS on 32r's last year with oil surge, also check your oil between sessions *thumbup*

70 profile 21r's is a good cheap option to start with *cool*

• Leadership Team

How do you overfill the diff please? I thought that you just filled it through the bolt hole until it would not take any more and peed out everywhere? I'm not sure that I have a breather pipe - do I?

BTW car is a 1992 De Dion.

Thanks! Michael.

Monkeyboy,

I did exactly the same as you are doing, but with my 1600XFlow

I would suggest the following:-

FIA rollbar - mandatory

Helmet to right standard (see earlier threads on this) - mandatory

Four point harness - essential

021's - good choice. Not too sticky, but Michelins are so bad you cannot get the best out of the car.

Can of oil

Oil catch tank - good idea, at worst you could get black flagged, at best you get oil all over the screen and engine

Overfill the diff by unscrewing the plastic breather on top of the axle and filling through there.

Tape for headlights

Tools to check car between sessions.

If you are new to the track the chances are you will not be going so fast that you need to change the brakes - standard brakes cope well. Just make sure there is plenty of wear left in the pads,

and they are full adjusted.

Have fun!!

Terry

Q783 OOR. Team Lotus colours with flares.

Monkeyboy,

I did exactly the same as you are doing, but with my 1600XFlow

I would suggest the following:-

FIA rollbar - mandatory

Helmet to right standard (see earlier threads on this) - mandatory

Four point harness - essential

021's - good choice. Not too sticky, but Michelins are so bad you cannot get the best out of the car.

Can of oil

Oil catch tank - good idea, at worst you could get black flagged, at best you get oil all over the screen and engine

Overfill the diff by unscrewing the plastic breather on top of the axle and filling through there.

Tape for headlights

Tools to check car between sessions.

If you are new to the track the chances are you will not be going so fast that you need to change the brakes - standard brakes cope well. Just make sure there is plenty of wear left in the pads,

and they are full adjusted.

Have fun!!

Terry

Q783 OOR. Team Lotus colours with flares.

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

I'm going to go for the yoko 021's i think anyway, by sounds of things they make a big improvement even on the road to the Michelins!

Tested my noise level and it was too loud (105db) so need to look into options there (see new post)

I'll fit a oil catch soon anyway, i'll give Caterham a call about this.

Thanks for the overfilling diff comments, i overfilled mine through the breather but have found that i do get a squelching noise when i brake now which sounds like it's coming from the diff!!

My brakes still have a fair amount of wear left but i'll get some spares in anyway *thumbup*

I've got a four point harness so i think i should be ok there.

i think longer term i'll keeop an eye out for a second hand FIA roll bar, at least i can then also consider club track days *smile*

Thanks again for your replies, i'll let you know how i get on 😬 😬

Alistair

about your catch tank...

get some 1/2" ID hoze (cut a 2 foot from the garden hose)

a 0.5l coke/sprite bottle

cut hole in the top sloping side (where it tapers in towards the cap) to fit the 2 foot of garden pipe into this.. the other end will go to outside/under the car.

the pipe currently exiting from the block breather route up as HIGH as you can and then into to bottle top.. feed the pipe into the bottle so the breather outlet is at least 3" below the garden pipe going to outside.

this is now a cheap catch tank and will do a track day and you can easly see how much/if any you are breathing..

'Going round the corner givin' it a handfull'