Click here if you are having website access problems ×

cycle wings

debushau

I am trying to fit the front cycle wings on my seven and I am positive that I have 2 right wings. Another person I spoke to believes that the wings are identical. Maybe I have a badly moulded model but it seems to me that one outside surface is flatter than the other and to mount the repeaters so that they sit identically on both sides, you need to ensure that same edge (whether it be the flatter or rounder) is on the outside.

Blatman,

What sort of cars are they????

I can absolutely confirm that front wings are not handed, but the moulds are hand made and are by now likley great great grandchildren of the original patterns.

Remember the fromnt cycle wing can be fitted two ways round so one might be better.

Also consider the side repeater set up on the Fireblade car (the ourple one). This has he repeaters in the sides of the headlamps. A nice touch, especially if the headlamps are James Whitings 5 1/4 inch ones.

The side repeaters in this instance are not fitted to the lamps as supplied.

Arnie Webb

So fat the chassis snapped....wink.gif

See Fat Arnies 2 piece Seven here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

See the Lotus Seven Club North Kent Website here

Drag Co-ef used to be recorded as .60 with cycle wings, .68 with flared

Having the roof on also makes a big decrease in drag. I'm not sure if the figures above were roof on or off.

The position of the cycle wings, and gap between them and the tyre along the entire length also makes a big difference.

Arnie Webb

So fat the chassis snapped....wink.gif

See Fat Arnies 2 piece Seven here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

See the Lotus Seven Club North Kent Website here

Thanks for the replies. I initially thought they were identical too and spent many minutes squinting and touching the corners to to confirm this suspicion. After finding a difference in the curvature (after drilling!) I was most disappointed and thought I had made an error. However, the curvature is no better whichever way I face the wing. I suppose I will have to live with slightly crooked repeaters - to match my slightly crooked rear wings!

Some more hijacking of this thread I am afraid:

1) the 13/14 wheels cycle wings are shorter than the 15/16 ones. Therefore I suspect that the 13/14 must cause more "sand blasting" of the rear wing than the 14/15 ones. Has anyone tried to modify the 13/14 to avoid this problem?

2) Arnie writes that the drag is dependent upon the respective positions of the tyre and wing. I figure that the closer the best.What is the best combination Wheel- Wing to get this configuration?

3)Does the 14 wheel fill better the wing arch than the 13 wheel since they use the same wing? I find the 13 wheel to look a little bit skinny in the 13/14 wings.

Pierre

Pierre said

Arnie writes that the drag is dependent upon the respective positions of the tyre and wing. I figure that the closer the best.What is the best combination Wheel- Wing to get this configuration?

Whilst I'm not Adrian Newey, I'm led to beleive that it doesn't make much difference. Think of the wheel as a giant fan, moving a shed load of air in the wrong direction. If the wing is closer, the same volume of air will be at higher pressure. That's why Le Mans cars louvre their wings. It's to vent the pressurised air, not for cooling.

You can get them to run very close if you make your own brackets. I measured mine when I made them and the mudguard is 12 mm from the tyre, and the bracket about 6mm. No noticable improvement in top speed though, still about 120mph. I suspect that there may be a little less lift though at those volocities. One thing I would warn anyone contemplating making their own close running mudguards , and that is to make sure you can remove the wheel without having to remove the brackets as well. My first version had this problem but now I am on the mk111 version, all is well.

Pierre, I made my own out of aluminium, and they are repositionable for both 13 and 15 inch wheels. They were a nightmare to make and it wasn't until the third version that I got them right. I wouldn't recommend aluminium though as it flexes a lot and you need additional bracing, thin wall steel tube may be easier.