Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vibrating Knob

Big Brother

Advice please...and I know I have set myself up with the titlesmile.gif

I have a vibration coming from the gear knob in my Seven either at high revs (4500+) or on over run. It seems to have been getting louder and more frequent recently.

The car is a 79 live axle with a 2821? gearbox (the type with a remote change assembly) I have been told that the problem is probably caused by a worn nylon bush at the base of the gearstick, where it bolts onto the selector shaft. I have not had time to take a look yet but would appreciate any advice or help.

Cheers

Steve

Emission Internet

We get the same vibration. One of the gear changes we have has copper washers at the bottom of the gear lever where it connects to the forward shift rod. This gear-change has the biggest problem. Recently the second gear box went (3/4 syncro) and during that period the nylon washers were heavily damaged. The vibration increased. There must be a resonant vibration around 4500rpm in egine or gearbox. Ford seem to have fitted nylon to stop the vibration transfer but loses some gear change feel. Do you have any manuals on specifically the 2821? It is different than the normal Cortina 4-speed, I have found needle roller thrust bearings on the idle gears, I was wondering what other details there are.

Another solution is to go even faster, or slower?

Two other possible thoughts.

1) I had a problem with a vibration rattle on the gear knob. It was a Momo one with a Caterham badge over the original Momo emblem. Dreadful noise at + 5,500 rpm. To cut a month long story short, I eventually traced the problem to the orig. ali badge having come loose and rattling on the underside of the Caterham one! Nigh on impossible you'd think, but........

2) Remove the three bolts holding the remote change in place (having of course removed the gear knob and tunnel cover).Alter the unit to a Dave Andrews 'quickshift' type (cost- about a quid!). Re-grease and re fit!

Good Luck. I hope it's only one of these 'cheap' options!!!

Chris,

Can you provide any more info on the "Dave Andrews 'quickshift'"

Also I have now had a look under the tunnel cover and could not see 3 bolts!

I did however find a large domed nut with a spring in it with the gearstick sticking out of the top.

The bolt linking the bottom of this to the "remote selector arm"? was loose and didnt have any bush fitted (or remaining). I think this may be the cause of the noise, but am not sure where to start looking for spares.

Any Ideas???

Steve

Emission Internet

Steve, just taken a look at your note about your gear shift being noisy, my 1982 Caterham had a terrible rattle and sloppy change action, traced to shagged out nylotron top hat bushes fitted to the bolts that pass through the gear stick both in the front and rear of the change remote assembly, (if that's what it can be called, a loose conglomeration of old iron offcuts more accurately), so I binned the original and made up a machined, from one piece, ali remote shifter, this allows much better change action and also is used with the 5 speed box, which was a retro fit, I've got some photos here I could send, haven't got the technology to send them on the net.

Best regards Nigel.

Yup I have a Caterham remote linkage on my Westf1eldblush.gif I lost one of the "top hats" at a sprint recently, so I repacked with washers, leaving out the now redundant metal roller "pin" thingy. It turns out that the roller pins and top hat washers are critical to the functioning of the linkage, so if they are worn, you can replace them with new washers from Caterham. I did.....making sure you re-new the nyloc nut as well. Once they have been on and off a few times, they don't work..........

Chris, Chris, Dean?, Nige and Blatman.

Thanks for all the advice so far, it is appreciated.

Blatman,

I cannot find any trace of a "tophat" on my gearstick. What I do have is a bolt that fits through both "legs" of an inverted U assembly on the gearbox part. The gearstick sits in the middle of the U part and the bolt goes through the centre. Sandwiched both sides of the gearstick and the inside surface of the U)are a few loose washers.

Does this mean someone has already replaced the tophat?

Steve

Emission Internet

Sounds like the top hat has gone. You will probably have looseness in the forward/backward motion of the gearlever. The nylon parts are very difficult to get hold of. The only source I have found is the Lotus Cortina Centre, Crewekerne, 01460 73775. @ UKP10. apparently machined from solid as the moulded original items are no longer available. I am still looking!

Geoff.

Blimey, Deanteam are up early!

Yes it sounds like the top hats are gone. I got mine from Caterham. I'm trying to find a way of adequately describing how it should fit together, but I'm either too tired, or I don't have the vocabulary!!!!!!!!

Where are you in the UK Steve. I'd happily come have a look (I seem to be offering myself around a lot lately!) or meet you somewhere to compare notes.

Steve

You're less than an hour from methumbsup.gif If you don't get it fixed by Sunday, I may be able to arrange a day pass from SWMBO, after the GP of coursewink.gif

If we should meet before you get the alternator sorted, you can check out the Daihatsu alternator I have in mine. Small, light, and not too expensivethumbsup.gif

I have ordered the Tophat bushes from Redline, should be here by Thursday.thumbsup.gif

Blatman,

Cheers for the offer, I am out on Sunday (GP Party!) but will try to make the Phoenix on Wednesday night.

(even if I have to push it there)

I have only just fitted the alternator, having upgraded from a dynamo and am now starting to question my wiring. It did work for over 250 miles!

The alternator was from a friend in the "trade" and was £30 new and boxed.

I hope to exchange it by Friday, so will be back on the road Sat AMsmile.gif

The Tophat bushes sound fairly easy to fit, so hopefully they will cure my "affliction".

Steve

Emission Internet

Edited by - steve motts on 10 Jul 2001 15:43:49

Finally got round to fitting the tophats this afternoon.

On the plus side, changing gear is now much easier and a lot more direct.

On the minus side, my knob is still vibratingwink.gif, although not as much as before.

I suppose I will just have to live with it, unless anybody has any other ideas.

Steve

Emission Internet