Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Covered Caterham Trailer £1k ono??

Dave Pearson

I've got a covered trailer for sale. It's a sturdy beast with a framework with a specially made black sheet over it. It's got zips and straps front and rear for easy access.

There's some metal straps at the front to hold two jerry cans. There's also some points to secure a set of wheels near the back on the sides. There's plenty of room at the front for some sort of tool chest. It also has some chocks at the front to stop the car rolling forward. It's got a new jockey wheel and a new spare tyre. The others tyres look ok.

The ramps sit on the bed so slide underneath a loaded car out of the way.

It was used to transport a Grads car by the previous owner. I bought it from him for the same purpose. I've decided to go down the Brian James route instead. I think this one is a bit too sturdy (and heavy) for my needs. Just a shame i didn't realise that before buying 😳

Anybody interested should consider that this is not the newest trailer in the world. I believe it was built in the 80's and has been adapted ever since.

I haven't got any photos yet but i should be getting some sorted at the weekend. I'm sure it would be of great use to somebody.

Selling for less than i paid at £1000. I need rid of it ASAP so offers considered. A VERY cheap covered trailer i think.

01733 764488 (evenings)

Cheers,

Dave

I have no idea what it weighs. I've got an Audi A4 1.9 TDI which tows it ok but you do notice it. The Brian James + Car is about 850kg. This trailer on its own felt similar.

I spoke to the chap i bought it from. He used a Golf 1.9 TDI (so theoretically simailar to my Audi) although his was the 150 bhp model!! He asked whether i'd left the hand brake on!! He seemed surprised when i said it felt quite heavy.

Maybe it's just because i hadn't done much towing that caused me to be a bit surprised at how my car seemed to be slowed. Thinking back though i was doing 60 mph on the A1 without too much trouble 😬

If you reckon on the trailer + caterham = 1300kg then you relly need a car weighing about 1500kg minimum. An estate car or 4x4 would be no trouble at all i'd imagine.

Hope this helps *cool*

Hi Dave,

I'm assuming all the wheels on the trailer are braked? It may be worth mentioning this as most cars have different braked/unbraked towing capacity.

Best of luck with your sell.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1400 (non-starting) Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings ☹️.

• 2 weeks later...