Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series click

Tony Wright

Car now clicks even after short runs, just get the dreaded click every time. I end up having to rock the car in gear every time to get it to turn over ☹️

Does this mean the starter is on it's way out or the solenoid knackered *thumbdown* Getting a bit p****d off with it and just want to get it back to the way it was.

Tony

I am having the same problem with my K but rocking it in gear makes no difference. Had to get a bump start at the filling station on Saturday. I am looking at doing the starter relay mod as described on the Alcester website though my setup seems to be different. Please let me know if you find a fix.

Rgds

Conor

I have had my geared (soleniod underslung) starter appart and cleaned piston etc as recommended. I have fitted the relay mod which made a considerable reduction in the incidents but has not eliminated the problem.

At the end of hot days on Le Sept trip I had two occurences, one of which was cured by the jogging of the engine in gear.

I had assumed that the click is made by the first stage of the solenoid engagement. This pushes the pinion into engagement and the rear of the pistion completes the main circuit of the motor (?)

If the flywheel is in a particular position could it be that the jogging moves it into a more favourable relationship and that the baulked piston (not making final electrical contact) is able to move the full travel. ??

I still do not understand the heat component to all this and I am convinced it began after the battery isolator switch was fitted - comments ?

Tony, we should form a self-help group. But I don't know how to help... I've got exactly the same problem. I've even changed the battery (now it only happens sometimes when the engine is hot). It's been happening since before I fitted the new engine, so it's not that.

The only thing left on my list to check is all of the electrical connections, including earths (I have reason to be suspicious of one of those). Failing that I'll have to go for Peter's race starter recommendation.

I have been through all of this; the rocking business, the lagged pipes, the heat shield,the relay fix and combinations of all four, none of them worked. The only way to restart once hot was to push.

My missus was fed up of pushing, I felt that there must be better things to worry about than trying to find places to park and petrol pumps on a slope.

If you've arrived at this state, call Brise.

It's an easy job to fit and starts every time even at Dijon in the hot sun.

the relay mod worked for me. The way I knew it was going to work was to wire up a fly lead from the feed on the solenoid. I took it up to near the +ve on the batt and whenever I got the click, I used the flylead to activate the starter. Always worked so I did the relay mod and all has been well since. Make sure that the flylead cannot accidentally make contact tho!

If the rocking works, I doubt it does it by freeing a jammed starter.

Graham

Graham, I've done the relay mod. It made a significant difference at the time, but it's still clicking sometimes now. I've also got a flylead tank-taped in the boot ;-) Works every time it's needed, but I do have to wat for the engine to cool a bit before I get my arm around the exhaust, and that in itself must help the chance of starting.

£250 for a starter! [Gulp!]

From observation it seems to me that there may be two problems with Caterham starters.

I) Those associated with heat, not cured by moving the flywheel

ii) Those solved by rocking the engine and moving the flywheel.

Having examined more than a few Caterham flywheels I have noticed on some of them considerable chewing of the starter ring gear which shouldn't happen with a pre-engaged starter. I think that this is caused by an alignment problem between the pinion and the ring-gear on a high proportin of Caterhams, this causes the teeth to be come mangled which in turn prevent the pinion engaging and therefore the solenoid from fully throwing.When the solenoid doesnt fully throw the starter fails to turn.

Rocking the car in gear turns the flywheel aways from it's fasvourite stopping position and to a different position where the ring gear is intact.

Sometimes you get both problems together...

Oily

• Area Representative

If rocking in gear works, then it points to a mechanical problem with the flywheel and the starter pinion.

If it's a problem encountered when hot, then it could be a case of the starter relay mod being the answer. To find out, as Graham says, fit a fly lead to the solenoid and in the event of a problem, lift the bonnet and touch direct to battery. If it starts every time doing this then the relay is the answer. Worked for me - now 2.5 years with not even a hint of a problem!!!

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

First: Rocking.

I think that the pinion is not able to fully engage and thereore complete the electrical contact via the other end of the soleniod piston. Rocking must put the flywheel into a more favourable position.

Second: Peter and Paulo: Have you both fitted the Brise device as a bolt on replacement?

£250 would be a price worth paying if the problem was resolved but it must mean that the Brise unit not only has more power but also is not as vulnerable to less than perfect engagement and heat.

I wonder if alignment and heat are cause and effect?

• Area Representative

Strangely

Why put the fly lead in the boot?

Why not permanently attach one end of the lead to the solenoid and route the other end to somewhere near the battery and secure so thst the end is insulated. When you have the problem, no need to go near the hot exhaust.

Sounds to me like you may have a combionation of problems. Relay will work for some symptoms, but there are other problems with dry joints, sticky/dirty solenoids etc. Suggest you try a search for various other cures.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Have used the car plenty over the last day and a half and this probably sounds daft (I'm a numpty when it comes to anything tech) but after leaving the car to idle before switching off, I then give it a quick turn over without starting and then leave it. Each time I've gone to start car again it's started first time *wink* Could this have the same effect of rocking the car in gear 🤔 ie: move the flywheel *thumbup*

Could live with this if it were to work every time, suppose only time will tell.

I wonder if the meshing of the ring gear and the starter pinion gets closer when the engine is hot. (differential expansion??) If so that would explain why the starter fails to go into mesh as easily and why shifting the ring gear around by pushing in gear sometimes works. If the mesh gets so close the thing can't go into mesh then pushing won't help. Has anyone tried opening out the starter mounting holes so that the mesh can be moved out a little?

I wonder if it would be worth adding a second feed to the starter. Using a second relay and a resistor a reduced feed could be sent to the starter as soon as the key is turned (i.e. before the main contacts make) This would tend to turn the starter so that if the pinion was 'head butting' into the ring gear out

of mesh it would turn until it did mesh. Trouble is you would need a fairly chunky resistor as I doubt the starter tries to turn with much less than 20 amps through it. Of course this would only work if the mesh didn't close up totally.

Just a thought

Colin

That was certainly the case with mine after I put the "new" engine in. I hadn't removed enough metal from the block and as soon as it got warm (not even hot) the starter couldn't turn. Using an angle grinder in situ while retaining all my fingers was fun *eek*

I'm not sure your idea of a second feed would achieve much as the solenoid screws the starter gear into position before the motor is started, not with much force admittedly. If the gear doesn't engage then the motor contacts won't close.

M1 7 SMW 1.4-now-1.8K Mem.No. 10376

Edited by - Tony_Whitley on 29 Jul 2004 09:10:31

I'm none too keen on the second feed idea either as its quite a lot of trouble to go to. Lets face it, there are millions of cars out there with starters from the same sources and they, for the most part, work fine. It has to be something specific to the way its installed in the seven. The proximity of the exhaust apart the only thing left is the mounting - if I get the trouble I'll butcher the mounting holes with a round file and take it from there.

I have been speaking to Brise in an attempt to find out why their starter in the same position within a Caterham would not fall foul of the same problems part of their reply goes like this:

the solenoid is the only weak point with these (Caterham) units. In the Caterham 'K' series the

problem is made worse by the proximity of the solenoid to the exhaust, the

heat causes distortion of the brass liner within the solenoid that

surrounds the solid armature. The armature needs to slide in this liner without

restriction, otherwise the windings are not able to overcome the springs +

the mechanical resistance in order to make the contacts. The Brise starter is

based on a Hitachi design and uses a solenoid that does not suffer from

this problem. The solenoid is further away from any heat source than the

Magneton. We do not reccommend using heat insulation around starter

solenoids because they create internal heat when in use which is trapped

by the insulation.

Unquote

I will be ordering a unit and reporting my results since without reliable starting solo blats cross country are just ruined.

Tony,

It's a straight bolt on replacement, although I did have to grind down a lug on the egine block to enable the starter to sit correctly. This lug is hidden behind the starter, a non technical big file, dremel or angle grinder job.

Photos available if required, starter not angle grinder 😬

Paul