Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

6 speed with big power

Davey Bee

I spoke to Caterham today about the 6 speed and if it would take the kind of power that my car kicks out.

I want to fit a sequential box but I'm unable to get one from Quaife or their main suppliers, so I'm thinking of fitting a 6 speed Caterham box, I'm happy to hear alll comentss.

Most importantly is it up to the job

TRY 5S

Buzzin' Bee It's never too late for a happy childhood *cool* *cool* *cool*

You don't stop playing because you get old

You get old because you stop playing

Where would you fit this breather? From the filler hole?

Also, any idea what "upgrades" would be appropriate for a late 99 box? I'm planning to have mine serviced and upgraded by Phil Stewart to the latest spec and am both curious as to what he'd do and whether he could engineer me a breather.

Phil stewart has an appropriate breather which can have a pipe attached.

Henk,

The only reason I'm not stating clearly that the box works fine is because my use has been for sprints, rather than 9000rpm most of the time.

IIRC, Richard Ince didn't break hald as many gearboxes as he broke clutches.

Sahf London;

every 1st Wednesday from 19:30 at The Duck just around the corner from Clapham Junction station

Nigel,

Phil fitted a breather to my 6-spd a couple of years ago when it was in for a check. I'm not sure how you would fix it up to drain back in (as Peter suggests), I just ran a pipe to the back so that should any vapour/oil come out, it did so at the back of the diff. It never did put any thing out and I regularly rev to 8,500.

Personally, I would not fully agree with Arnie regarding big power and 6 speeders. Running just over 240bhp and 175lb, mine always needed annual maintenance to keep it sweet. Just talk to Ince and Krebbs about the level of maintenance their boxes needed when racing (rebuilds every other race meeting). I know racers crucify the driveline but I was only doing about 4 track days per annum and 2 Ring trips and I was getting miffed at having to get the box checked every year and parts needing replacing.

So I got another offer for a Dog Box but this is a lot more money and taking into account that I do not want to fit any one of these boxes which way should I jump *eek*

TRY 5S

Chaos,

You have too much money!

Parts will always show signs of wear in a gearbox, but this does not mean they are servicable.

I did probably 20,000 miles with the 6 speed in my car having proibably close to 280bhp and 9500rpm through it, It ran faultlessly the whole time. I took it out when I fitted the Sequential and sent it to phil for a lookover, and apart from a slighhly bent selector lever (not power related) there were no parts requiring repair.

In additon I bought the box 2nd hand, and I have no idea as to its history beforehand, but it did come from an SLR race car.

Dave, bite the bullet. A Caterham 6 speed with a 3.92 diff and a VX engine which can rev to 8500rpm is a demon setup IMO.

Ex Fat Arnie

Hauling Less Lard....

Hi Arn,

Phil and I were discussing your G/box on Monday (My diff was in for 30 degree ramps) and he thinks it might have been that you did fewer track days in general (just guessing), but antics like donuts etc put more strain on other parts of the drive train ie diff mounting points etc.

Anyway, what cannot be changed is the rate of wear my box and other track orientated cars have suffered. Could it be that you have greater mechanical sympathy than most of us *wink*

Hi Dave, long time no speak!

I have actually changed from a 5 spead Quaiffe sequential to a Caterham 6 Speed. I really only did this because I wanted my JPE returned to standard spec. I went through the same decision making process as you are going through now.

Go for the Caterham 6 speed, it is coping with my engine power at the moment and if your VX makes it's power high up the rev band, then this box will bring the whole car alive.

I don't regret going down this route.

Mike C

Ok, I've handed the money over to Caterham this afternoon, so lets see how I get on.

TRY 5S

Arnie

Is 3.92 right ? Guess this works for sprint, but top end will be a little lower perhaps ?

I ended up with 3.64 and 6 speed which would pull 7750 on back straight at Goodwood with the RK all-steel x-flow ( one up, ACB 10's and no wind screen ). A 3.92 might run out of puff. Welcome your views

Frankly I am not too interested in getting off-the-line quickly, but would prefer to keep going on the track to make sure I can get past Harry Flatters.... 😬 😬 😬

Do I need to fit a gasket between the bellhousing and the gearbox or is the O'ring all that I need.

TRY 5S

I actually ordered my six speeder with a 3.38 ZD LSD after long discussions with Caterham USA.

The reasoning behind this is that I want to lower the RPM on the highway, and that my supercharged Zetec has enough low-end torque to take on the lowered ratio.

Dear God, let this prediction be true.

/Magnus F.

Magnus,

Sounds rather high gearing, although I accept what you say about the torque and your reasons for it. I use mine on the roads mostly, and yet with a 3.62 I don't really find it a problem. Perhaps a very marginally longer gear would be better when cruising but I fear it would ruin the 1st gear, especially in traffic. I would hate to be forced to keep declutching. At the moment I find I am able to let out the clutch in 1st and let the idle speed carry me along in traffic, but my idle's fairly high at 1050rpm. A higher geared 1st and lower idle may still enable you to do this.

Nig.