Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

A new noise

Frying Pan

My car has developed a new squeak in the engine department...

At first, thougth it was te CRB playing up, but not related to clutch. Closer investigation this evening narrowed it down to engine. I pressed reasonably firmly on the plastic plug cover (EU3 engine) and the squak stopped, so I thought I'd tighten the three bolts holding it on, but no change.

I then removed the cover and couldn't find anything loose under there. But if I press firmly on the coil packs the squeak stops. Again, all bolts tight...

Oil pressure / Oil level /coolant temp / coolant temp all fine, and the noise is fairly constant, not overly affected by engine speed.

Any ideas? It's frustrating me.

Cheers

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. First 3000 miles completed!

If you put the cover back on and push firmly down anywhere else on the engine do you eliminate the noise? I had a really nasty squeak that took ages to pin down, ended up being and engine mounting. I still have no idea how it managed to make such a loud noise...

There was a problem with the EU2 metal plug covers. The bolts holding it were too long and bottomed out. This caused the plate to buzz at certain engine speeds. The simple answer was to put a washer under the bolt head.

Could the EU3 plastic cover have a similar problem?

Ray

Ray - I remember some posts about the EU2 covers which is what I thought this could be, but it still happened with the cover off...

Charlie - Didn't think of the engine mounts - I'll try those tonight! Did you have to replace the mounts, or were they just needing tightening?

Thanks for the tips both *thumbup*

Guy

Update on my original post...

Thought I'd solved this a few days ago by tightening the exhaust clamp up, but the noise came back...

Had the car up on stands yesterday to repair the starter solenoid 'control' wire, the connector for which had broken leaving me need ing a push start...

Checked the engine mounts and was alarmed (to put it mildly) that the bolts (to block) on the exhaust side were finger tight 😳

Not surprisingly, the noise has gone now 😬

Thanks for the advice - as always it was spot on *thumbup*

Guy