Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

regs 2005

david nelson

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when has Abingdon been in the south east? It's just south of Oxford. South west if anything.

I hillclimbed at Pestalozzi near Hastings a couple (well 5 probably) of years ago. Nice venue and definetly a hill. Is that another lost venue?

Graham - yep, I would genuinely be very happy to help in any way I can (as long as I can still compete). If you're looking for help with the championship collar me at Curbugger & we'll have a chat *thumbup*. I understand the financial constraints you mentioned-shame though because as Adam said our events do feel a bit more special.

As one (of the handful) of competitors from SE of Heathrow i'm not put off by a few hundred motorway miles to attend an event. Nowhere on our calendar is exactly at the end of the earth (although Harewood is just north of the arctic circle, isnt it?! 😬). But...... an event or 2 closer to the SE might encourage a few more first timers to come out to play (i'm not sure Lydden is a good example: it's very early in the season for most winter upgrades to be completed. It's also a "proper" race circuit and the sprint shares the day with "proper" racing. This might put some people off, especially first timers? Or it may be that some people in the SE just prefer to attach carbon buckets to their bonnets and talk about fast they can go. Who knows?). Even if that is all a load of bolleaux, something closer to my front door would still be nice (for me) 😬 😬 😬

Andy Nicholls

C7 AJN

Bit late to this as I have been learning how to be a door supervisor (bouncer..) life takes you starnge places spmetimes doesn't it *smile*

Anyway:

Millbrook would be awesome as the hill circuit is cracking and its only 15 minutes from home *thumbup*

As to the regs part: they have Worked well for most this year so why not keep them as they are. If changes are to be mate then I would agree that class 2 and 3 should be near standard ks if possible and wouldn't even object to 1800 X-flows going up a class as they can be nudging the SLR's on power.

Perhaps we should look to get an informal agthering of those of us who are interested to get together to discuss in November over a few beers?

Steve

• Area Representative

Going back to technical regulations.

We all compete in club events for fun (don't we?).

Any regulations must be easily policed, to prevent any accusations of cheating.

Graham (maybe tongue in cheek initially) suggested, but then confirmed "No Programable ECU's" as a proposal.

The programable ECU opens up scope for further internal changes, that the MEM's won't cope with.

It would appear that the other restricting factor is the plenum. There may be small gains to be made by using an older or newer plenums, or a bigger throttle body, but they are all small gains - perhaps 5bhp tops.

If we were to say "Any Rover plenum" along with "No Programable ECU's" we would effectively cap power AND retain an easily policed specification.

If we were to outlaw programable ECU's for class 2 & 3 cars, of the current runners, how many would this affect?

wouldn't effect me

but I always go back to my favourit toppic that we always want to restrict the k cars but not the twinks and mega xflows, which always seem unfair

so far this year in class 3 we have had an even split of class winning cars

k-series 1.6 =2

xflow 1800 = 2

xflow 1700 (robin oldfield I think ) = 1

Lotus twink = 1

so my suggestion is no change as it seems that we have a cood competitive class structure as it is *thumbup*

rob

What are the equivalent scores for class 2 ? If they are a similar profile to class 3 then as rob says, the system isn't broke so there is no point in fixing it. I personally think that we would really struggle to improve on the current set up in classes 2 and 3. Can't comment on the other classes though

IMHO any form of weighing would be competely impractical and time-consuming.

If the Ks are doing the winning in class 2, put the Xflows on 1a tyres in class 1 if they're now old and uncompetitive, or, let the crossflows use 1b tyres.

That'll stimulate comment 😬 😬

BB

I beg to differ. Andy Nicholl's is an 1800. So the scores on the doors for this year are:

Lydden 1800's (1st & 2nd)

Llandow 1800

Curb 1 1600

MIRA 1800

Harewood xflow (1800's 2nd & 3rd)

Loton 1600

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

Kipper

I stand corrected I thought Marks car was a 1600K

to paint the real picture though it looks like this in Class 2:

Lydden...1800K...1800K...Xflow

Llandow....1800K...1600K...Xflow

Curb...1600K...Xflow...1600K

MIRA...1800K...1600K...Xflow

Harewood...Xflow...1800K...1800K

Loton...1600K...Xflow...1600K

So its not quite the complete domination of 1800K's that you are trying to imply by only putting where they came, as you see 1600K or Xflows feature in the top 3 at every round.

My car is indeed an 1800 - a near as dammit bog standard 140bhp "Roadsport". The only upgrades are an uprated master cylinder and an apollo. No lightweight bits, full screen, standard brakes and pads, standard supersport MEMS ECU, no head work, standard "type 9" 5 speed 'box, standard non adjustable suspension, narrow track, leather armchairs, standard exhaust with cat, standard diff. In short, i've done sod all to my car except give it a coat of polish and an occasional wash. If we're assessing how level the playing field may or may not be, would anyone else care to list the current spec of their car 🤔 😬

Andy Nicholls

C7 AJN

Further to my last posting I really do think people are taking my original post too seriously, to set the record straight as I'm kind of getting bored with the critiscm again.

*arrowright*I did not start this posting

*arrowright*My posting was made in jest and clearly stated that

*arrowright*There are no planned changes for next year unless YOU the competitors want them

*arrowright*If you want changes as a class sort it out between you

*arrowright*WE DO THIS FOR FUN Dont we 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2004 Speed Championship - 9 events *cool*

Edited by - Bacon Butty on 29 Jul 2004 13:30:17

BB Its okay, we are only playing 'what if' ..............

Now, Wooly said

If the Ks are doing the winning in class 2, put the Xflows on 1a tyres in class 1 if they're now old and uncompetitive

I suspect this would put the cat among the pidgeons 😬 I can just hear Kipper Junior choking on his coffee *smile* Anyway It should be possible to keep a crossflow competitive in classes 2 & 3 for another 10 years *tongue*

Edited by - Graham Perry on 29 Jul 2004 17:09:47