Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Please point me in the right direction!!!!... rough K

boughtoneatlast

Hi All

I have a 1.6 running throttle boddies, Luminition Competition management system, bigger valves 4 2 1 exhaust.

Car has been running well, but on a couple of late night outings has been misfinring and backfiring, sending out a large flash.

Also noticed that when running like this, when I blip throttle on change down it starts to stall.

It now will not run on tickover at all...... have checked plugs as a first point of call as had this once before onanother car when the plugs were loose. They are fine.

Now in my very basic tech knowledge, I think this indicates air getting in somewhere, but I could be wrong.

So could anyone with better knowledge than me and experience in these things please point me in the right direct...

Ex 1.6 SS, now 186bhp!!, it flies

Could be one of several reasons ..... including - but not limited to;

idle stop screw - made need to open the throttle a little.

TB balance - check using air flow meter or small length of hose.

Throttle position sensor - this typically needs to have around 0.5v at idle. Some ecus have a calibration funtion, others need the TPS itself adjusted.

Do you use the air bypass valve stepper motor thingy? If so, check its still connected and opens/closes etc.

This sounds like a dodgey throttle pot to me, thats the potentiometer fitted to the spindle of the TBDS, try un plugging and cleaning the plug/contacts, or else try to borrow anotherone and do a back to back test. You may have to re-calibrate your ecu though.

Simon

Peter, I have no drop in performance when driving normally, just on idle and with a backfire on over run, would poor compresion cause this???

Its strange it started happening but only at night, which then makes me think its to do with atmospherics!!????

My problem is I really dont understand that side of the engine, TBs ECU etc....

I need to get this sorted before Aug 11th as I am on club track day at Silverstone!

Does anyone know someone over Maidenhead way that is good with this side of the engine???

Thanks

Gary

Ex 1.6 SS, now 186bhp!!, it flies

Checking compression is a matter of eliminating the bleeding obvious. If the compression is buggered then there ain't no way that fiddling with throttle pots is going to make a blind bit of difference. It is quick to do. The only reason I mention it is because all other replies jumped in and told you to check this sensor or that sensor.

Sahf London;

every 1st Wednesday from 19:30 at The Duck just around the corner from Clapham Junction station